Chapter 27

Anastasia's POV~

Anastasia's POV~

"You remember seeing a photo on my night stand?" I ask Alessandro and he nods.

"Your sister's."

"Yeah. Her name is Amelia. We called her Ami." I sigh. "She was older than me. Three years. We were inseparable, you know?" I smile at the memory.

"It all happened five years ago when I was fourteen and Ami was seventeen."

I gulp and Alessandro squeezes my hands, encouraging me to go on.

"My parents are both journalists. Well used to be. Not anymore. They were always busy but never failed to give us the love and attention we needed as a child. They are the best parents." I shut my eyes, recalling the past. "We went to Maine for vacations that year. Mom, dad, me and Ami. The trip lasted for half a month. We came back. It was our first day back in school. Everything was going normal as usual."

I exhale a deep breath, reliving it all.

"That day Neither mom nor dad could come to pick us up. There was a storm coming and they got stuck in traffic but they told us to wait inside the school premises. So we took it on ourselves to go home. Alone."

I meet his eyes, preparing myself for the next words.

"I have always been the more shy and worried type. So I was reluctant at first but somehow Ami succeeded in convincing me as she did everytime. We got out of school and started on our way back. It was not even ten minutes into the walk that we saw a blacked out SUV parked at the end of a dark alley. It was deserted since everyone was inside their houses for the weather. When we were about to cross the car the doors opened in a flash and four men in masks and complete black outfits got out. We tried to make a run for it but they were faster. We were unarmed. So defenseless against them but still we tried to escape. Eventually they dragged our small bodies in the car and the car started running on the empty road. We could not even see the directions as they had put chloroform filled hankies on our noses."

Alessandro puts one hand on my cheek, rubbing the skin there.

"I did not know how long it had been. I had lost track of time. When my eyes opened they were burning. It was like someone had put tons on my lids. They felt heavy. After blinking for a while when I finally opened my eyes again, I realised I was put in a dimly lit room. I could barely see anything clearly. Then trying to move my limbs, I saw they were restrained too. I was tied to a chair. Recalling the last memories I had before I fainted, I freaked out. Ami was not there with me. I started shouting and calling for Ami, pulling on the chains."

I grip Alessandro's hand harder and he lets me, not objecting for once.

"After what felt like an eternity, the doors to the room opened and in came a bunch of people carrying someone. They dropped the body in the middle of the floor and turned on a switch, making a light flash on the person. It was only then that I saw the face of the person they brought.  It wa-it waa..."