|Four

You watched Kikimora check her watch and followed Hunter with your eyes. He held a sack full of sleep inducing plants. 

You stayed with Luz and helped her draw on a wall. Hunter climbed up the wall and went up to you two. 

He stood next to Luz, and you stood on her other side. 

"Huh. I've...never seen magic like this." He said quietly. "What will it do?"

Luz smiled. "We don't wanna spook Kikimora's steed because it might drop the nest and hurt the palismen!" She said thinking. "Soo, using these fire and ice spells, I can command the glyphs to produce a thick mist!"

Hunter took the sleeping nettles. "And the sleeping nettles?" He asked handing her one.

"They're essential!" She said taking it and putting it in the hole at the bottom. "Combined with the magic mist, it'll create-"

Hunter cut her off. "-A sleep inducing smoke! Forcing Kikimora to land!"

Luz paused to look at Hunter. You looked at him too, surprised.

He noticed you two staring at him. "Oh! I...um." He muttered scratching his cheek lightly, "I-I read a similar spell in the book From Bones to Earth."

You raised your eyebrows. "You too?" You asked incredulously. 

Hunter looked at you. "You read it?" He asked.

"Yeah!"

Luz leaned in. "A study of wild magic!" She exclaimed looking at the two of you. You looked at her and she smiled. "Eda even pickpocketed the guy who wrote it." 

You grin. "No way! Really?" You asked. 

She turned to you. "Yeah!"

Hunter glanced at the symbols on the wall. "I've never seen glyphs before," He said smiling at it. He gets excited as he looked at you and Luz "But it seems very similar to the elemental magic practiced in the savage ages!"

Luz looked interested. "Really?"

You stared at him. You haven't seen this side of him. It was almost cute that he was this excited talking about different types of magic.

You smiled, because he looked happy. You knew he loved learning new things about the Boiling Isles in the past, or present, but not this much.

He continued. "Actually, not many people know this, but..." He stopped himself. "No, no, no, no, no. This stuff is restricted for a reason." He said crossing his arms. 

You frowned. But it's just learning...what's so bad about learning?

He looked away. "You should forget about before you're hurt."

Right. The emperor. You thought. You had a vague idea about Hunter's family. His family was gone because of wild magic. He only confided it to you recently.

Your face showed sadness as you looked down. Hunter didn't say anything. Luz glanced at you and Hunter.

"Uh-huh," She muttered. "Other than Lilith, I've never spoken to anyone inside the emperor's coven..." She looked at you, then Hunter. "What made you guys want to join?"

You frowned before looking away. Hunter noticed your discomfort. "Y/n...doesn't want to share. So...I'll go instead. You were right before." He said, leaning against the wall. "I'm a powerless witch...a lot of my ancestors were." He looked at Luz. "I never thought I'd have a future in a world like this." 

He looked at his hand while fidgeting. "Then Belos found me...and gave me a staff with artificial magic. Said the titan had big plans for me..."

"At least you have your future figured out now..." Luz said sadly, looking away.