|Seventeen

Gus stopped Hunter, "Hey, man, Can I talk to you?" He asked. 

Hunter let go of your hand. "Okay," He looked at you. "I'll be right back."

"Okay!" You looked down kicking the dirt as Hunter and Gus talked, walking a few feet away.

Jake, who stopped by walking, looked at you and said, "Oh! Y/n! By the way, you can stay at my house! I'm sure my older sister wouldn't mind!"

You didn't notice Hunter abruptly stop and turn his head slightly, listening.

You waved your hand, nervous. "Oh, no, it's fine, Jake. I don't want to be separated from Hunter- The Golden Guard," You said. "In case something happens, you know,"

You didn't notice Hunter looking away smug and he continued walking away with Gus. 

Jake nodded slowly and glanced at him. "Wait- Is that who li-" he started.

You cover Jake's mouth, laughing nervously. "Shut up!" You hissed. 

He looked at you with stars in his eyes. "You like your partner in used-to-be crime?" He asked quieter. 

You felt your cheeks heat up. "H-He's not just my partner, Jake, he's my best frie-"

"Best friend to lovers?!" He gasped, lighting up more. "You like him, right?"

Your cheeks flushed a darker shade of (s/c). "I mean...yeah, I guess..." You said rubbing the back of your neck.

Jake opened his mouth and glanced at Hunter, who looked slightly happier than before. "Oh, he totally likes you back." He said smirking.

"What?" You asked in disbelief. "No, he doesn't!"

Jake looked at you and frowned. "Huh? What do you mean? He obviously-"

"Jake, he just sees me as his best friend, okay?" You said looking away. All this time, you'd been crushing on Hunter and you never thought of whether he felt the same for you. 

You were sure he just saw you as a sibling or something. A best friend. Not a romantic partner he could date. 

Jake noticed you felt a little down and he said, "I'm sure if you talked to him about it, it could be cleared up," He attempted a smile. 

You jumped and looked at him. "Are you crazy? No! I can't just go up to Hunter and ask if he loves me romantically! That would be-" You paused and glanced over at Hunter who looked over at you, smiled, and waved. 

'Hold on, I'm almost done!' He mouthed. 

"-dumb and awkward." You finished, sighing.

Jake hummed. "Oh, well." You'll see. He thought. Jake looked at you. "Can I have your penstagram? I wanna keep talking to you!"

You tilted your head confused. "I don't have a penstagram," You mutter. "Let alone a scroll."

Jake deflated. "Oh..." He lit up, "We can send letters! Like pen pals!"

You looked at him. "Okay-" You said raising your eyebrows. "Sure,"

He got out a pen from nowhere and wrote his address on your arm. "Here, so you can write to me and in case something happens, you can hide at my place!"

You raised your eyebrows, eyeing it. "Thanks-" You said.

He hugged you and you tensed. "I have to go! I'll wait for your letter!" He said and ran off. 

"Bye!" You said loudly.

Hunter went up behind you. "Me and Gus are done," He said.

You jumped and turned. "Okay!" You said smiling.

Hunter glared at the way Jake went and looked at you. "He didn't bother you did he?" He asked.

You laughed, "No! He's just my new friend. He's cool." You said quickly. "Like your new friend! What'd Gus want?"

Hunter's mood seemed to lighten. "Oh! He offered if I wanted to stay with him instead of the school," 

You looked at him, a sinking feeling in your chest. "What'd you say?"

He looked at you as if you were dumb. "I asked if you could stay too?" He asked, confused.

"What?"

Hunter smiled. "I asked if you could stay too. He said yeah. He wants us to come with him to his house, so we need to gather our things in the abandoned stage room." 

You stared at him. 

He looked around confused. "What? Is there something on my face?" He asked.

You wrap your arms around his neck hugging him. "Thanks, Hunter," You said. 

He touched your back, hugging you in return. "No problem, Y/n. I wasn't going to leave you alone," Hunter laughed.

"Thanks," You said grinning, ignoring the thudding of your heart. 

Hunter smiled. "You're so clingy," He teased.

"Oh, shut up!"