|Twenty-Three

You sat next to Hunter as everyone scrambled to get ready in the morning. Today, you were discussing the plan with them. But you wanted to talk to Hunter before anything else.

It's quiet between you, and you spoke. "You changed." You smiled. "In a good way."

He flushed and looked away. "So have you...but I'm worried about you. I really think you should sleep more."

"I couldn't sleep because you weren't there with me." You say grabbing his hand. "You are right now. so I can sleep well."

He looked at your connected hands and smiled. "That's good..."

"But...I wanted to ask..." You said slowly. You lifted your head and he looked at you, knowing what the question was. And he was dreading it. "Where's Flapjack? Did you leave him in the human realm accidentally?"

Hunter kept his eyes on you. He looked in pain.

His silence made you worry. "Hunter..? What happened to Flapjack?"

He squeezed his eyes shut and jerked his head away. You noticed his eyes glistening with tears. "He, um.." Hunter started hoarsely. "He's...gone."

You paused and smiled nervously. "What do you mean gone? Is he in the-"

"No. He's dead." Hunter glared at the ground as tears fell down his face. "Broken. Gone." He shook his head trying to calm himself down.

You processed what he said and immediately covered your mouth with your free hand. Then you saw Hunter trying to keep himself together. You grabbed him and pulled him in a hug.

That broke him. He started to cry softly, clutching onto your shirt, his face in your neck. You yourself had tears in your eyes. You closed your eyes as you stroked his hair.

Flapjack...died? How...How did he die? A thought hit you. Belos. Of course Belos killed him.

You felt Hunter wrapped his arms around your waist and he pulled you closer, his breathing turning slow. "I missed you so...much." He rasped out. "And I know Flapjack would have been so happy to see you..."

That was what broke you. Tears fell as you leaned into him and he leaned into you. "I'm so happy you're safe." You gasp hugging him tight. "I wish you both got here safely..."

Hunter leaned back to look at you. "Me too."

You touched your forehead with his and he allowed it. You whispered to him, "But...are you okay? Do you need any healing?" You asked,

Despite his despair, Hunter smiled. "Unless there's a spell to fix these scars...no."

You laughed and wiped your tears. "I can see what I can find. I've been learning a bit of everything since you were gone. So I'll see if I can find a spell for that...but you look really cool with them."

"What?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Not that I like you getting hurt...I hate it. But those scars make you look like a badass who can handle anything because they're so tough."

Hunter leaned in laughing. "I don't think I'm the badass one in this friend group...but...thank you."

You flushed a darker shade and said slowly..."Hunter?"

"Mhm?"

"I'm so happy you're here." You said, relieved.

Hunter looked at you, "I love you."

You paused and looked at him suddenly. "W...What?"

Hunter hugged you. "I'm in love with you. Still after these months. Flapjack and I talked about it a few times- well I did the talking but I think he agreed...but I thought I should tell you when we came back. I promised I would and I didn't want to break that promise...even if he's now...gone."

You felt your face heat up and you held onto his shirt letting him hug you. "I love you too...Hunter."