~ Gifts ~

Rainsong's POV

Ah, flashback time! How enjoyable.

I was 5, nearly 6 moons old and sleeping. Suddenly and unexpectedly, an odd she-cat with stars in her pelt came to me. Not only her, but also a pine coloured tom, as well as a tom-kit as big as me. I gazed up with wonder.

"Am I in Starclan?" I asked in my squeak of a voice. "Am I dead? I can't leave Robinwing, Fuzzypelt, Brindleface, Frostfur and Whitestorm!"

The tom-kit that looked like me spoke first. "You aren't dead Rainkit!" He said in a voice resembling mine but more deeper in tone. "We're only visiting!"

Each of the cats introduced themselves, the odd she-cat with a pelt like Whitestorm's was Moth Flight, the first clan medicine cat, the pine coloured tom was Pinestar the leader before Sunstar.

My eyes widened, then I questioned why they were here.

~ Magical Time Skip Because I'm Super Lazy ~

"So you want me to train with Spottedpaw and under Featherwhisker as a medicine cat?" I asked my voice less squeaky from my bad mood. "But I don't want to."

Apparently, I was gifted according to these cats. I had also learned that the Starclan kit was my deceased littermate. Apparently, these gifts I had were more just talents, but there were a few exceptions that were pure gifts. Firstly, according to these cats, I had a sort of enhanced sense of smell and a less but still enhanced hearing. I had a very enhanced gut feeling as well. I could sense the truth and when trouble was near. Starclan themselves had even given me a gift, the ability to dream and talk with spirits as easy as a medicine cat. They also told me I had a trait that very few cats had, and these cats all earned this trait through experience and age. An oddly intense wisdom. They informed me that they did not know where this sort of gift and/or talent came from, but that it was a good thing for me.

The downside? They said that I would be able to use these gifts and talents to help my clan best if I were to train as a medicine cat.

"Why don't you want to be a medicine cat?" My brother, apparently named Skykit, asked. "It's a big honour and it'll be a huge asset to the clan!"

"Because that will only prove to everyone that they were right!" I snapped at him. "Everyone thinks that because of my puny and runt size, I'd only ever do my best as a medicine cat! What about what I want? Doesn't that matter? It IS my life! Plus even if being a warrior apprentice won't suit me, I can adjust things so that it does! Plus how would YOU all know how my gifts would best suit me? You guys can't see the future!"

I was panting for air after my rant. I looked at them all, anger blazing in my eyes, they weren't allowed to choose my path for me. Then they did the unexpected, they all looked at each other with an uncertain look.

"Is that the only reason that you want to be a warrior?" Moth Flight asked me with a sharp look. "To prove that everyone's assumptions are wrong?"

I took a deep breath before answering, "No, that isn't the only reason. I also want to have a mate and kits because having a family will definitely make me happy." I said levelling my voice to not show any emotion. " Also because warriors don't only just fight out of brutality, they learn to be noble, loyal and that the clan matters above all else. Being a medicine cat wouldn't give me the knowledge I yearn for."

They all looked shocked and mildly impressed at my answer. I remembered what I said and realised it had some maturity and wisdom a kit wouldn't normally have. Then they all shared that 'look' again. I rubbed my front paw against the other, I was nervous, what would they say next? Would they punish me for being disobedient? I was sweating with worry now.

Moth Flight spoke again. "We hoped that it wouldn't come to this," Her tone and voice now soft and soothing. "We hoped that informing you of your gifts and what they could do for the clan would convince you. So now we deliver the bad news."

I swallowed, this couldn't be good.

Skykit, my littermate, came over to me and rubbed against me, we were the same height even though I had 5 moons to grow while he had died at birth. Proved to show how small I was when I was born, it was lucky that I had been born during Greenleaf. Skykit rubbed against me to reassure and encourage me. I took a deep breath.

Pinestar was the one who was to deliver the bad news. "I'm sorry child." He said this softly evidently not trying to scare me. "But you won't ever be able to have kits."

I blinked. "W-what do you mean? Of course I can!"

Moth Flight spoke again. "No child, you don't have the ability to be able to properly carry kits. I hope this will change your mind about becoming a medicine cat."

I was shocked, I couldn't ever have kits...? Then I processed her last sentence, and I was furious.

"You think that just because I can't have kits it'll sway my decision about becoming a medicine cat?!" I spat out these words too angry to say them calmly. "Absolutely not! Just because I can't doesn't make me incapable of being a good and loyal warrior!"

With that, I had padded away from the group, leaving them dumbfounded. They had, of course, continuously pestered me about it during my apprenticeship. But then it was too late once I had gotten my warrior name.

~ Flashback Ends Here ~

I shivered from that memory, I hated it. Moth Flight was still very angry at me about it, but Pinestar and Skykit had forgiven me. I looked around, ah yes Starclan's hunting grounds. Then I saw a familiar bushy ginger tail peeking out from behind a rock.

"Redtail?" I mewed, had he decided to visit me right away? "Please come out."

He did, I was genuinely shocked at the fact that he did. Most dead cats avoided the living for a bit until they were comfortable as a dead cat.

"Rainsong, you seek answers from me don't you?" Redtail asked.

Yep, same as always, get straight to the point Redtail. I nodded my head, surely he would remember if Tigerclaw had killed him or not.

"I do have these answers, but the new apprentice, Firepaw, is the one who is to find the answers." He meowed. "But do not fear or fret for you are correct."

With that, he disappeared leaving me in darkness.

~ End Of Chapter A/N ~

Hey guys! I finally managed to write a short chapter! Hooray! But yea now it's all explained right there. Hope you guys enjoyed it!

~ LittleOwl

(also future LittleOwl here, I just re-read this and realised it was pretty cringe, well too bad, I don't have time to re-write ANYTHING right now. Let alone finish the chapter I've been on for two entire weeks-)

(Also just found out, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR 56 READERS!!!! I know in honesty it's not a lot, but to me it means the world. T0T I think I may die of shock and pride. I've never been this proud of something I've done before.)