~ A Short Visit & A Message ~ (Bonus Scene)

Leafpool Third Person POV

Something's wrong!

"I can see another kit!" Squirrelflight called. "But it's not moving! Push harder!"

Leafpool had no breath to speak. She tried to press her paws against her belly, manipulate the kit the way she would if she were helping a queen in the nursery. But her legs flopped weakly to the ground. She felt Squirrelflight trying to help, prodding and nudging with her own paws, but she hadn't been trained, and Leafpool had no strength to tell her sister what to do. Dark shadows clustered around her and she felt herself ebbing away. She knew that cats could die if a kit got stuck. Help me, StarClan ...

Then the air stirred beside her, and two new, familiar scents filled the hollow tree. Leafpool felt strong paws pressing down on her flanks, and the kit inside her started to turn. She opened her eyes and saw the two faint outlines of starlit cats. One was gray-furred and flat-muzzled, the other was a pale tortoiseshell with pale blue eyes. Yellowfang! Rainsong! Squirrelflight was standing beside Leafpool, huge-eyed and gaping.

"Make yourself useful," Yellowfang ordered, and her voice sounded like the wind between the stars. "Give Leafpool some water, and rub some warmth into that black kit."

Squirrelflight rolled the moss closer to Leafpool so she could drink, then started pummelling the tiny shape beside her belly until the little cat squeaked. Leafpool felt Yellowfang shove a stick between her teeth.

"This is going to hurt," the old cat grunted. She leaned on Leafpool's belly with a force that made her shriek in protest. "Have a little faith," Yellowfang hissed.

With a wrench, the kit was born, a huge golden tabby tom with broad shoulders and a deafening yowl. Squirrelflight dragged him beside the black kit and Leafpool stared down at the tom in disbelief. My son! She felt him start to suckle and let her head fall onto the leaves. She had never been so exhausted in her life. She felt as if she had been turned inside out, and wanted nothing more than to sleep for a moon.

But Rainsong shook her roughly awake. "Stay with us, Leafpool." she ordered in a soft but harsh mew. "There's one more kit to be born."

"I can't." Leafpool whimpered without opening her eyes. "I'm not strong enough."

"You have to be." Squirrelflight told her, her amber eyes fierce in the darkness. "Come on!"

She propped Leafpool's head against her shoulder and held her close as yet another spasm rolled through Leafpool's body. This time the kit slipped out easily, a pale gray tabby even smaller than its littermates.

"Another tom." Yellowfang announced, efficiently peeling off the sac and delivering the mewling bundle to Leafpool's belly.

"Two sons and a daughter. Congratulations, Leafpool." Rainsong mewed in an ecstatic voice, and Leafpool caught a spark of emotion glistening in Yellowfang's eyes.

"Thank you," she whispered. She bent over her babies and started licking the stickiness from their fur. Above her, she heard Yellowfang telling Squirrelflight that they both needed to get some rest, then Squirrelflight could fetch prey and more water.

"Wait for the kits' eyes to open before you go back to the hollow." Yellowfang rasped. There was a pause. "If you go back."

As she slipped into the stillness of sleep, Leafpool thought she might stay in this hollow tree forever. Everything that matters to me in the world is here.

"Sleep well, Leafpool. Remember that we'll always be here. I'll come visit soon."

Message 6

Leafpool Third Person POV

Leafpool watched her kits play from the entrance of her den. They were now five moons, nearly old enough to become apprentices. She had continued her role as medicine cat without difficulty in the moons after she and Squirrelflight had returned to ThunderClan with Squirrelflight's 'kits'. Though Rainsong had promised to come visit her, the pale tortoiseshell hadn't shown up in the last five moons. Which unnerved Leafpool greatly.

"Do not fret, Leafpool." A gentle mew suddenly sounded from behind her.

Leafpool whipped around to find Spottedleaf sitting in the middle of the den.

"Rainsong is quite alright." Spottedleaf informed her.

"If she were alright, wouldn't she come herself to say so?" Leafpool argued.

Spottedleaf ignored her question and continued: "In fact, she'll be coming to you in a matter of time, I think. That's if things go as Bluestar and I planned."

"What do you mea–" Leafpool cut off as the StarClan she-cat suddenly disappeared.

~ End of Bonus Scene ~

Hehe. I hope this proves to you that this Fanfiction isn't just a mess, but in fact a mess with a giant plan. 

~ LittleOwl