~ The Hunt ~

Rainsong's POV

It had been two moons. Since Firepaw had joined us, since I had made a decision I was sure I wouldn't regret it and since Redtail's death. Wait- It had been TWO moons?! Already!? Oh Starclan!

I quickly sniffed the air. Yes, thank Starclan. Rain was coming. When it comes, I would take out either Graypaw or Firepaw. Hmmmm, I think I'll take the latter. Afterall I don't have a lot of patience and Graypaw talks too much. I'd have to build up my patience for him.

Deciding that I wanted to go hunt, I was about to go tell Lionheart, when his scent started coming closer and closer to me. I turned around to meet our oh so high deputy. Before he could say anything, I hastily mentally reminded myself that Frostfur had asked me to be kinder to Lionheart. In reality I just found the golden tom annoying.

"Rainsong, Tigerclaw and I assigned Firepaw for a solo hunting mission." Lionheart started.

Frankly, not knowing how this applied to me I responded. "Yes, well what? I don't see how this matter concerns me." I snapped.

"Well, you know how solo-hunting missions don't really work out well." He continued, evidently used to me interrupting him. "So I need you to lead a small hunting patrol. Tigerclaw, Bluestar and I are going to check out the Shadowclan border later, so don't stay out too long."

Ah, right. He wanted to make sure there were enough warriors back at camp to defend it if needed. I briskly nodded and went around asking cats if they were up for patrol. In the end, I only had Longtail, Brindleface, Willowpelt and myself for the patrol.

We decided to split into pairs. Longtail and Willowpelt went to try at Snakerocks, while Brindleface and I decided to try nearby the stream. When we got there, we parted separately not really wanting to talk to one another. Afterall, we weren't on speaking terms much. Or more like Brindleface knew she couldn't talk to me without making it weird. It honestly hurt a little that I couldn't talk to my closest kin, but it would be very awkward if we did.

The moment I had returned back to camp after I had told Whitestorm my decision 2 moons ago. I saw Brindleface comforting Whitestorm. I had to desperately remind myself that this was for his good. Brindleface knew, and she was keeping her word. She also knew that it had hurt me. Every cat did. The moment that Whitestorm had come back without me, everyone knew there had been some sort of fallout in between us.

I shook my head, clearing the memory away. The pain was still raw, I couldn't risk breaking down. Bluestar and the clan needed me. That was the entire reason I had made that decision in the first place. Taking in a deep breath, I smelled the air for nearby prey and swivelled my ears around for signs of movement. There. Inside the old tree stump. I could just scarcely hear a wood mouse shuffling about inside. It was eating something.

Walking to the tree stump with light paws I pinned my ears back and withdrew a breath. Holding my breath and lowering myself gently, I stuck my paw into the hole in the stump as fast as a monster. I heard it squeal in surprise and run around the interior of the stump. Using the vibrations in the earth as well as my ears, I tracked its movement inside the stump. Finally, I pinned the mouse and snapped its neck. I pulled it out, grinning in delight. I continued my hunt.

Firepaw's POV

I was sniffing for prey scent, when I caught the scent of a cat. Turning around, I found Rainsong creeping up on a stump. Huh? What was she doing? Catching the stump? Curious, I continued watching.

The small tortoiseshell she was slowly crouching down as she crept forward. Her paws were barely touching the forest floor, as if she were floating. When she was only half a mouse-length away from the hole in the stump, her front paw shot out and into the hole. What in the name of Starclan was she doing? It seemed she was struggling for a bit, her paw scrabbling around the inside of the stump. When her paw stopped moving, a triumphant grin lit up her face. With that, she pulled out a dead wood mouse.