~ Death ~

Rainsong Third Person POV

The next few days at ThunderClan were blissful to Rainsong. She was able to enjoy patrols with cats she knew and loved, she was able to share tongues with her kin and clanmates, she was able to hunt and sleep without the feeling that Tigerstar was breathing down on her neck. She even managed to say congratulations to Willowpelt and compliment how adorable the kits were.

But now those were the past days. Now Rainsong was looking on silently at the unmoving body of her closest kin. Her closest sister and best friend. Brindleface. Rainsong's beloved sister was dead. Lying on the ground. Dead. Dead. Dead. The one word echoed around in Rainsong's head over and over, yet she was still incapable of processing this.

A white bundle of fur flashed in the corner of her eye. Rainsong didn't care if it was Cloudtail, Frostfur or Whitestorm, she didn't bother checking.

"Rainsong?" Cloudtail whispered hoarsely.

"I just found her here..." She choked out in reply, her eye not moving from the dead body of her sister. "Dead."

"No!—" Cloudtail's cry was cut off from her hearing. Every noise in the forest had gone blurry.

Brindleface was...dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Just like Robinwing. Just like Fuzzypelt. Just like Skykit. Just like Elderkit. Just like Tulipkit.

Would Brindleface take care of Rainsong's littermate? Robinwing undoubtedly was already taking care of him in StarClan. But poor Skykit had spent so long in StarClan without much kin.

"Huh?" Rainsong blinked, back to the present. The forest filled with the singing of birds and other creatures skittering about.

Frostfur was nosing Rainsong on the shoulder, trying to get her to get up. The white she-cat's eyes were wet with grief. Like a dumb-founded kit, Rainsong let Frostfur lead her back to camp. All Rainsong could feel was bewilderment, grief and confusion.

"Frostfur?" She asked, her voice hollow of any emotion.

"Yes, Rainsong?"

"Is she in StarClan?"

"I would hope so. Then she could be happy with our parents and her dead kits." Frostfur reassured her gently.

"Did Brindleface and you ever think of Skykit after he died?"

Frostfur was silent at Rainsong's question.

"You're lucky you had a littermate, Frostfur. It's a shame not every cat gets that pleasure." Rainsong remarked in a sad tone.

"You're very right, Rainsong. Now come sit here, Fireheart has called us together." Her sister instructed her in a soothing and calm voice.

Rainsong did as she was told and planted her hind-quarters on the ground. She didn't hear a single word the young ginger deputy had to say. All was silent to her, except for the growing rage inside of her that begged for vengeance.

"We'll need to lure the dogs over the edge," Fireheart's voice suddenly pierced through her consciousness. "I'll need warriors who can run fast. Graystripe. Sandstorm. Mousefur and Longtail. Dustpelt. And I'm going myself. That should be enough. The rest of you gather by the camp entrance, ready to move out."

"Fireheart, I'd like to be one of the cats." She suddenly blurted out as her single eye moved to meet the flame-coloured tom's green ones.

"Sorry, Rainsong. But I think it would help the rest of the Clan best if you stayed with them at Sunningrocks."

"Fireheart! I wasn't asking. I want to be one of the cats who lure the dogs." Rainsong announced with a voice that said that this wasn't a matter to be reasoned with.