~ Songs In the Rain ~

Rainsong's POV

The rain had come. Err, more like it was almost here. Every cat could smell it in the air. It was time to take Firepaw out. I looked around for the young fire-coloured tom. I found him tending to Yellowfang. I padded to Bluestar's den first to tell her I would be taking him out. Afterall, she wasn't only just a leader to him, but his mentor as well. I remembered when she had announced that. I was honestly surprised, it had been many, MANY moons since she last had an apprentice. To be specific, I had been her last apprentice. I wondered about her reasoning for this. Yes she had stated that it was to speed up training. But I wondered if she had more than just that reason.

I reached the lichen covered cave and peeked my head in.

"Bluestar, I'm going to take Firepaw out." I mewed. "It's time I took either him or Graypaw for a training session. I chose Firepaw because I have to build up my patience for Graypaw."

"Alright, then." Bluestar purred back in response. "Make sure you let him eat a little before you go out. I can't tell if this one will take you long or not."

I nodded at her instructions and silently agreed with her last sentence. I wasn't sure how long this one would take.

As soon as I had reached Firepaw and the grumpy Yellowfang, they were both looking at me expectantly.

"Firepaw, go ahead and eat a little something." I purred softly. "I'm going to take you out for a training session tonight. And yes you're allowed to go tell Graypaw." I added the last sentence because he had opened his mouth, and it was obvious what he would ask.

"What about Yellowfang?" Firepaw asked gently.

"I'll take care of her, you rest a little before we go." I reassured him. "I'll ask Frostfur to take care of Yellowfang when we leave." I snapped when I saw him open his muzzle again.

With that he finally trotted off to the fresh-kill pile. I turned to the old orange-eyed she-cat. We just watched each other before some cat spoke.

"You can feel the pain of others can't you?" I meowed gently. "I'm only asking, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Her orange eyes widened in shock, but she nodded.

"And what about you?" Yellowfang rasped. "I'm sure a wonderful cat like you has been gifted by Starclan."

"I have." I responded curtly. "So then I'm not the only one who has been told by Starclan to become a medicine cat?"

Yellowfang nodded again. "They told me it would be better for me if I did. I was stubborn and told them I wouldn't." The old-she cat rasped. " But the heat of the battle was too much to stand. That is what convinced me in the end."

"I'm sorry." I apologised in advance. "But, Brokenstar's your son, isn't he?"

Yellowfang hissed, a low raspy sound. Her eyes were wide in shock but she was angry.

"I won't tell any cat." I promised. "It's just that..."

Yellowfang looked at me curiously. "Has Starclan given you the gift of seeing others' kin?"

"I don't believe so." I replied in a soft mew. "But I have an enhanced sense of smell and hearing. If I smell through the layers of scent in your pelt, I can smell milk and Brokenstar's scent. I know Brokenstar's scent from briefly talking to him at a gathering."

Yellowfang was shocked, impressed even. "Is this a gift from Starclan? Or something you just developed as a kit?"

"I believe it is the latter, Starclan merely made me aware of this gift." I replied.