~ Kinship ~

Rainsong's POV

I had been sitting in a corner of the camp by a bush, cleaning my fur when Bluestar came up to me. I looked up at her expectantly.

"Frostfur has told me two of her kits are ready to be apprenticed." She informed me once she had sat down in front of me. "I was wondering.. If you'd like to apprentice one of the two."

"Cinderkit and Brackenkit?" I questioned, when she nodded I continued. "Bluestar I'd love to, but I don't think so. I know you don't like to give apprentices to kin and so it must mean you must really trust me to push one of them as hard as any mentor. Trust me, I'd love to. But I don't think I should, my life is at the moment a bit of a mess. I'd like to sort it out before I need to focus on an apprentice."

Bluestar nodded understandingly. "Alright then, I'd like you to help me choose our next mentors for Brackenkit and Cinderkit." She meowed.

I went into deep thought for a moment. "I think... we should give our new warriors a chance to prove themselves even further." I whispered slightly hesitant.

Bluestar gave thought to this. "Well I didn't see that coming." She admitted with a purr.

"Who were you thinking of?" I asked curiously.

"Many cats, Longtail and Darkstripe included." She meowed with a wondering gaze at me.

"I think those two would make sense." I purred agreeingly. "But Longtail already has Swiftpaw, and Darkstripe has Dustpaw at the moment. Plus, Fireheart and Graystripe will be gaining more education by learning how to mentor efficiently."

Bluestar nodded at my opinion. "I think we should do as suggested." She said approvingly before padding away.

~ Timeskip Because I'm Impatient For The Exciting Parts ~

It was finally time for the ceremony. I helped Frostfur fuss over her kits to get them ready for their ceremony by keeping an eye on Brightkit and Thornkit. When Bluestar called every cat to come to Highrock, the other queens shooed me away and promised to look after the pair of kits.

Knowing I had to stick to my long-term plans, I planted myself by Tigerclaw. Who was practically struggling to keep his fur laying flat. I patted him sympathetically on the back with my tail.

"I know why you're maaaaaaaaad." I whispered in a sing-songy voice.

"Oh, I'm not maaad." He grunted sarcastically.

I snickered. "You're angry because you don't like the idea of a former kittypet training one of our clan born kits." I mewed teasingly. "Just so you know, Fireheart and Graystripe were my suggestions to Bluestar."

He looked utterly bewildered and appalled. "You!? You suggested those measly practically apprentices to Bluestar?" He hissed in shock.

I bobbed my head up and down. "It's a good way for them to get more learning done." He looked at me questioningly. "You know, because you learn as you teach. There are always opportunities to learn, even when you're done being an apprentice. I mean I'm sure you learned a lot about Ravenpaw and how to teach him when he was your apprentice."

He shrugged his massive shoulders. I was VERY tiny compared to him. He was larger than your typical warrior and I was very small compared to the typical warrior. I quite literally resembled a kit compared to him.

As we watched the ceremony, Tigerclaw was getting tenser by the moment. I could feel his anger coming off of him in waves. When Fireheart looked over at us, I gave him a small smile. When I looked at Tigerclaw for his reaction, he looked absolutely furious. Tigerclaw seemed determined that Fireheart was to fail.