I Miss Him (Benny Rodriguez)

I walk very slow to the Sandlot. I was super bored and didn't really feel like playing today. My brother, Shawn, had passed away last night and no one from the team knew. I was heartbroken. Tears prick my eyes. I choke but hold them in. I arrive and stand in the entrance of the field. I sigh before walking to the dugout.

"Hey, Y/N! Wanna play pitcher?" Ham smiles. I shake my head, sitting down. "She never says no to pitching!" Ham whispers to the team. I put my face in my hands, covering my face from the boys. I was crying. I never cry.

"What's up with her, man?" I hear Smalls ask. I ignore it and continue to quietly sob.

"I don't know, Smalls. But I'll find out." Kenny says.

"Nah, man. I got it. I'm her favorite!" Benny whispers. I smile but continue to cry. "Hey." I look up at Benny. His eyes widen. "You guys can uh- keep on playing! I-I'll be out in a sec!" He rushes over to me and put my hands in his. "What's wrong, mi amor?"

I sigh. "My brother- he uh- he passed away last night." I cry. His eyes widen more.

"W-what? Oh, princess. I know how much you loved him." He takes me in his arms. "Is there anything I can do?" He frowns. I shake my head.

"Unfortunately, you leave when you leave. It's how life works." I sigh.

"Yeah," he replies. "Do you wanna play and to get things off of your mind, or do you just want me to walk you home?" He smiles lightly.

"I think I can play." I nod.

"I love to hear that, my love." He responds. I blush. "Cmon," he grabs my hand and leads me out to the field.

"Hey, girl." Kenny walks to my side. "You wanna pitch?" He smiles.

"Sure!" I smile. I take the softball from my glove and pitch the ball. Benny swings and missed.

"Woah!" Ham gasps. Benny rolls his eyes. Ham throws the ball back to me. I put my finger-tips on the seams. I smirk. I pitch again. Crack. I gasp as the ball went over the fence.

"Benny!" I scream. "That was my only ball! You idiot!" I shout.

He laughs. "I'll get you another one, love."

I breathe out. "Thank goodness." I walk over to him and kiss him lightly. "I love you." I smile.

"I love you, too, my beautiful girl." He replies. I blush like a maniac. We part and go back to our positions.