Chapter: 12 "Oh my God"

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling the strange urge to go outside to the beach and watch the sunrise. I usually never do this or wake up this early but this time was different as if something was magnetically pulling me towards the sea at this early hour.

I walked outside and headed towards the beach before I saw a recognisable brunette that I've known for many years. It was Connie.

I walked closer to him and sat beside him in the sand. His eyes were puffy red and he had a joint between his fingers. I'm pretty sure he knew that I was here he just didn't want to say anything.

"Would you please tell me what's bothering you." I say looking at him with soft eyes. He turned his head towards me before looking at me for a few seconds.

"Me and my girlfriend broke up a few months ago that all." He says looking down at the ground unable to meet my gaze.

"Conrad I'm not stupid okay." I say taking his face in my hands and making him look at me. He was breaking apart and I was the glue that held him together.

He finally broke which made him burst out in tears in my lap. I comforted him by rubbing his back gently and tell him it's going to be okay and that he should tell me what's wrong.

"My mom has cancer." He said under his tears not even trying to look me in the eyes.

And I felt my world shatter into million pieces.