19.5 - Anathema

19.5 - Anathema

Sativa
I fought desperately to keep my eyes closed, but the unbearable pain that his touch brought me caused me to snap my orbs wide open.

The Daemon's eyes were soulless as they had been described. Nothing but a pool of blackness that I was drowning in. I faintly heard Bruno calling my name to snap me out of the hold of the Daemon. But, I couldn't tear my gaze away from the silent abyss of death its eyes had. It was drawing me in.

Everything effort that I made to pull away suddenly became futile as an even louder wail sounded sliced through the thick, cold atmosphere of the rooming.

However, this wail was different from the last as it was followed by the reply of wails from the other creatures that had come to take back home their steals.

This was a wail of victory.

They had gained another member tonight.

Me.

-

Azoic, Rostov Oblast
North Russia - Russian Fed; Population: 82,356
Romanov's Estate House

Sativa
I pry my eyes open, but instantly shut them against the white fluorescent lights.

"She's waking up," a voice said gently - it was Natalya.

Pain.

All around my body was a level of pain on a scale that I had never encountered before - even with Romanov's marking. I gritted my teeth to keep from screaming as it shot through my body in waves. I let out a strangled breath as my body simply numbed up.

The ragged sound of my breathing is the only thing that could be heard. I blinked, then stared around the cold room. It was very bland, much to my taste. An array of four, white walls giving me a slightly leered claustrophobic feeling. I didn't try to sit up as my eyes fell shut again, trying to protect me from the light.

I stiffen as a hand slips into mine, squeezing it lightly. I briefly hoped that it would be Romanov, but the tell-tale sparks that came with the infuriating man weren't there. Suddenly, the small, cold hand aptly pulls away.

Then again, my eyes snap open. My breathes harshly force themselves out of my lungs, begging for more as I manage to let a sound croak out of my aching throat.

"Water."

Then, there's a flurry. A blur of movements before a yellow, plastic cup filled to the brim with water is softly pushed near my pale frame.

"Natalya," a deep and chiding voice warned. "Be careful with the her, OK?"

I didn't recognize the voice.

I couldn't the see the man, for I was lying flat on an uncomfortable bed. But, I could see Natalya's happy expression above my frame.

"Sorry," Natalya's soft voice called out, before helping me to sit up as I downed the water greedily, squeezing the cup tighter in my hands as I realized something odd.

"Why am I not a Daemon?"

Natalya helped me sit up as I leaned my head on the wall, my back pressed against the headboard of the bed as I peered at the man that sat beside her. I swallowed as I turned away.

"Well," Natalya pressed her palms together nervously. "He marked you again - you know, to keep the genes of the Daemon from affecting you." I frowned as she finished with a nervous smile. "You are fine, right?"

"I'm fine," I bite out. "Now, who the hell marked me?"

"Romanov."

This time, it is the man by her side to speak. "He came back?" I squeaked pathetically, my eyes to the point of popping out of my sockets as I link in surprise.