5 - Reality Sucks

5 - Reality Sucks

Loupe Fiasco, California
USA - North America
The Main Pack Lodgings

Sativa
My parents were still alive. I could see them, I could hear them. I could even faintly smell my mother's honey fragrance as my feet carried me down the stairs. We were at our old house, the one with the dog, and the old rickety garden swing.

The smell of breakfast wafted into the air, my eagerness prominent as I skip down the wooden stairs in nothing but my Hannah Montana boxers and my tank.

Everything was as I had left it.

I push open the white French doors leading into the kitchen. My father was reading the newspaper, sipping his coffee while my mother practically pranced around the kitchen. Placing numerous plates of food before my father and I - I let out a smile.

My father kisses my mother's cheek. He looked happy, and so did I. I was openly ecstatic.

"Happy birthday," my mother places a kiss on my forehead as she drops a plate of pancakes in front of me. "Now, I know it isn't much, but I promised you a party, Sativa."

"Thanks," my voice sounded crackly, hoarse almost. "I am fine with this, Mom."

"Ok," she smiles.

"A big girl you are," my father smiles as well, reaching over the table and dropping a small, whitish box into my lap.

"Thanks," I whisper.

I pull at the strings of the box, thankful as it comes undone in a matter of seconds. Inside, it is a beautiful bracelet. Its intricate details sending a smile to my face. I immediately clasped it round my wrist, leaning over the table to give my father a hug, I notice the small card that falls out of it.

I picked it up, and it read, 'Happy Fourteenth Birthday, my Sativa'.

That was my last birthday before Milly and her mother came along. It was a memory that I preferred hidden in the soils of the earth.

But, my father always told me that you can never run from the past.

He never said that I couldn't try.

-

Loupe Fiasco, California
USA - North America
The Main Pack Lodgings - Pack's Literal Library

Sativa
Sweat.

I awoke in a cold sweat as the nightmare still plays on and on again in my head.

I sit up, the covers lightly falling around me as I do.

I blink a couple of times, as I stare up at the sky through the window. It was my first night at my temporary Pack. Many times, I had contemplated the thought of running away. But, common sense had gotten the better of my actions. I rub my nose, and kicking my legs over the bed, I pad over to the light switch.

Flicking it on, I cringe as the light hits my pupils, so used to the darkness, the light is an unwelcome source. The room was simple, and I liked that. The fourposter bed was pushed open against one of the teal colored walls. Its plain white comforters oddly matching with the wooden frame of the bed. Two bedside tables stood at the left and the right of the bed. Opposite that, there was a small, humble desk. A laptop sat atop it, and a black bin underneath. To my left, a set of cabinets lined the walls, and a bookshelf next to it. I had always been a fan of books, so I almost couldn't wait to explore it, and fill it up with classics.