15.5 - Fugitive Kisses

Sativa
His lips were soft, but they remained motionless as he his grip loosened on my hip.

I pulled away after a few seconds, his lips moving slightly against mine, and my forcing it, only made it harder to pretend that I projected to do that to him.

"Sorry," I mutter.

He smiles slightly, "It's OK."

I peer my eyes past his head again, gasping slightly at the sight that met me. Maya lip-locked with Romanov, his hands entwined with hers behind her back. I clear my throat, I cannot deny the feelings that course through me, stealing my breaths.

Jealousy.

Heartache.

Anger.

Regret.

Keegan must have noticed my frozen state, because he gently turned, my hand in his as he escorted me quickly, but firmly away from the dance-floor. Passing the confused, and for those who understood - a look of unhidden sympathy.

I didn't need that.

He gently steers me in front of him as he pushes open another door, revealing an equally lovely set of stairs.

A little unstable from Romanov's actions, and a feeling of self-hatred and awkwardness for mine, I stumble slightly on my heels, Keegan's steady arm keeping me upright as we descend on the stairs. There were people littered around the barely decorated backyard. But, they were mostly couple wanting to escape the lively night for a moment of bliss and perfect
silentness apt for each other.

"I know what I did in there was out of line..." I begin, nervously wringing my fingers as I turn to face Keegan's soft and idle stare.

He grins cheekily, "Isn't that what we are supposed to be doing - acting like a couple?"

I bite my lip, "Yeah, but it wasn't meant to go that far."

We walk steadily until we reach a fountain. The snow isn't completely covering the area, but it is enough to create a thin sheet of snow, and to make me shiver idly.

"Here," Keegan drapes his suit jacket over my shoulders as I come to notice Keegan's look. He had on an immaculate suit, with a red tie and plain, black shoes. I want to protest and tell him to keep his jacket, but I wasn't sure that I had the energy to contend with him.

So, I obliged.

"You look nice," I comment.

He rolls his eyes, "Thanks. -but, I've been with you for an hour now, and that's finally when you notice the sexy suit that I'm wearing?"

"I've been caught up in slightly more important things." I sigh, gently patting his shoulder. "And, I am sorry for not noticing it."

The silence hangs again, so I apologize once more, "I know that we are supposed to be acting like a couple and all - but I truly didn't mean to kiss you, it was the spur of the moment and all."

I'm rambling.

"It's fine - it can only help the front we are putting up."

"All I'm trying to say is," I take a deep breath. "It wasn't supposed to get that far on."

He shrugs, "Maybe. But the thing is that it did. So, forget about the past. Focus on what lies ahead - you made Romanov finally kiss his girlfriend - who, he hasn't even looked at since he came here. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for, Sativa."