𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧

chapter one

chapter one . . .
the heirs of the dragon

The sound of wind howling over the roars of a dragon filled the ears of the Princesses- Rhaenyra and Rhaerys Targaryen, as they soured into the heavens on dragon back and over Kings Landing with the brightest smiles on their faces and the feeling.

Rhaerys enjoyed the feeling like no other.

Though she knew she should be grateful for the royal life she had been born into, she hated it, and she made sure that those around her would know it.

Rhaerys understood how the game of thrones was played at a young age, and she wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. She felt that her royal life was a curse that she'd never escape from.

After quite some time of flying- Syrax, their shared dragon- roared at the Dragonkeepers who awaited to put her away into the dragonpit.

The youngest walked towards Syrax with his staff but stopped in his steps as the older Dragonkeeper held his own staff in front of him.

"Dohaeras, Syrax!" The older man spoke in High Valyrian. He looked towards the young boy who shuffled nervously on his feet and gave him a firm nod for him to continue his careful advance towards the rumbling dragon.

"Umbas. Rybas!" He spoke to calm her whilst Rhaerys and Rhaenyra alighted from her and the thuds of their riding boots against the sand were dulled by the sound of Syrax's purring as they began to sooth her by petting her yellow colored scales with their gloved palms.

"Welcome Back Princesses." Ser Harrold Westerling spoke amusingly. Ser Harrold was a knight and a member of the Kingsguard. "I trust your ride was pleasant." He added from his place on horseback.

"Try not to look too relieved, ser." Rhaerys spoke as she removed her gloves whilst she and her sister walked towards the carriage where Alicent Hightower, the daughter of Hand of the King- Otto Hightower and a dear friend of Rhaenyra's waited for the two of them.

"I am relieved. Every time that golden beast brings you two back unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike." Ser Harrold said before sending his horse trotting in the opposite direction.

"Syrax is growing quickly." Alicent spoke as she looked down towards the two. "She'll soon be as large as Caraxes." She added with a smile.

"That's almost large enough to saddle two." Rhaenyra said whilst she smiled up at Alicent.

"I believe I'm quite content as a spectator, thank you."Alicent spoke. The two were so engrossed in their conversation that they hadn't taken notice of Rhaerys's face that supported a scowl and a glare up at the Hightower girl.

"It simply does not matter, Syrax already saddles two." She spat as climbed up the carriage and barged past Alicent and practically threw herself into the seat.

At her sister's actions, Rhaenyra sent Alicent a sheepish smile before the two then turned to follow after Rhaerys into the carriage.

The elder Dragonkeeper then spoke to Syrax after the carriage trotted away.

"Dohaeras. Naejot." He added with a a nod of his head in the direction where Syrax was to follow, and she did so with grumbles and tiny roars.

The carriage soon arrived at the Red Keep, and the three girls walked arm in arm through crowds of people inside who spoke in indistict chatter and bowed towards them in respect as they passed by.

Which was another thing that Rhaerys hated.

It was no secret to anyone that Rhaerys disliked Alicent Hightower, but no one dared to interfere or question the matter. There were times where Rhaerys would dream of things about Alicent that felt and seemed so real and it caused Rhaerys to feel a hatred so strong for her.

They would be going to see their mother- Aemma Arryn, who had been heavily with child.

Alicent stayed back a distance behind the girls while they entered their mother's chambers and was met with the sight of countless of servants tending to the queen.

"Ah... Rhaerys, Rhaenyra. You know I don't like you to go flying while I'm in this condition." Their mother spoke at the sight of her children.

"Mother, you don't like us to go flying while you're in any condition." Rhaerys said with a tone of sarcasm that didn't go unnoticed by her mother as she sent her a look.

"Your Grace." Alicent spoke out in respect.

"Good morrow, Alicent." Queen Aemma greeted with a soft smile.

"Did you sleep?" Rhaenyra asked her mother as she and Rhaerys took a seat at her bedside.

"I slept." The Queen replied simply.

"For how long?" Rhaerys pressed.

"I don't need mothering, daughters of mine." Their mother said as she began to fan herself.

"Well here you are." Rhaenyra said.

"Surrounded by attendants, all focused on the babe. Someone has to attend to you." Rhaerys stressed for her mothers understanding.

"You both will soon lie in this bed. This discomfort is how we serve the realm." The Queen said with a sigh.

At These words, Rhaerys rolled her eyes at her mother's dreadful words.

"I'd rather serve as a knight and ride to battle and glory." Rhaenyra said with pride as her mother laughed.

"We have royal wombs, you and I. The childbed is our battlefield. We must learn to face it with a stiff lip. Now take a bath. You both stink of dragon." Their mother said, enraging Rhaerys.

"You know what, mother? I refuse to be any man's cock warmer, nor will I be forced to birth their spawns!" Rhaerys spat before she stood to her feet and rushed out of the room, ignoring the gasps of servants and the shoutings of her sister and mother calling after her.

note: short chapter? i know, i want to make this book as long as possible so i'll be breaking up the episodes.

all high valyrian conversations will be in italics.

but as you guys can see, our Rhaerys is a spit fire.