𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧

chapter eighteen

chapter eighteen . . .
his return

Rhaerys stood, eating at a table that supported many different foods as people engaged in conversation.

Rhaerys turned towards where her father stood with Prince Daemon, her sister, Rhaenyra and the Queen.

She smiled softly before she clasped her palms together as she began to head in their direction.

"I will not revisit this debate." Viserys said as he pointed towards Daemon. "You were always mother's favorite." He added with a firm pat to Daemon's shoulders. Viserys continued conversation about his mother. "And I, sadly, was no great warrior." He added once more.

"Congratulations on your victory." Rhaerys said to her uncle with a soft, genuine smile.

"Thank you, Princess." Daemon said as he returned the smile, causing her to nod her head as to say "you're welcome."

Rhaerys watched in silence as the Queen tried many times to catch her sister's eye. Which her attempts were failed.

"Perhaps Prince Daemon would care for a tour of the gallery?" Alicent asked with a timid smile after a moment. "He hasn't yet seen the new tapestries gifted to you by Norvos and Qohor."

"Oh, oh. Would you like to see the tapestries?" Viserys asked Daemon before laughing hysterically. "He has no interest in such things." He said with more laughter.

"I'd like to see them." Rhaenyra said with a sigh.

"Oh. Then you should not deprive yourself." Viserys sombered.

"I shall leave you then." Rhaenyra said before she turned on her heel to take her leave, sitting on a nearby seat. The Queen joining her not soon after.

"Rhaenyra." Rhaerys called after her sister. Seeing as Rhaenyra continued her walk, Rhaerys sighed before turning to her father.

"Do not be so hard on her, Father." Rhaerys said firmly. "I shall enjoy the tapestries alone." She added before leaving.

Daemon watched in admiration as she walked away and sat on a nearby seat.

Rhaerys sat to enjoy the feeling of the warm sun and the gentle breeze of the air.

"You seemed so content on Dragonstone." Rhaerys said in Valyrian, as she joined Daemon who stood, basking in the sun's warmth.

Daemon opened his eyes rather suddenly at the sound of her voice and the sight of her walking towards him.

"Why did you come back?" Rhaerys asked him. "I've missed you greatly." Is what lingered behind her words. "There is surely more to your return then simply taunting my father." She pressed as she took notice of Daemon's silence as he watched her.

Daemon however, smiled. And soon after, he was in front of Rhaerys, gazing down at the Valyrian necklace he'd gifted her that rested on her neck before taking hold of it gently. His touch lingering before he finally let go and took a step back.

The two watched one another in silence.

"So...what do you want?" Rhaerys asked Daemon with a smile.

"Only the comforts of home." Daemon said simply before walking towards the table no to far away. Pouring himself a cup.

Rhaerys in tow.

"I had not thought you particularly comfortable in this home." Rhaerys said as she followed Daemon. Rounding him, she then stood at the table across from him. Watching him.

"Though I suppose you seem changed by your adventures. More mature, perhaps." She said as she watched him carefully.

"You've matured yourself these last four years, Princess." Daemon said as he looked up towards Rhaerys. "You'll get used to the attention." He added.

"The attention I can endure. It's the rest I could do without." Rhaerys said with a heavy sigh. "Court has been boringly stressful. Father was surely going to marry me off and my reasonings has pushed it onto Rhaenyra."

Daemon laughed lightly before rounding the table to sit next to where Rhaerys stood.

Rhaerys turned so that her back was to the table, leaning all of her weight onto it.

"Marriage is only a political arrangement. Once you are wed, you can do as you like." Daemon said as he kicked his feet up onto the table.

"For men marriage might be a political arrangement. For women it's like to be a death sentence." Rhaerys said firmly.

"Would that it were. I would have been rid of my Bronze Bitch ages ago." Daemon scoffed. He then held out his cup of wine for Rhaerys to take, which she obliged.

"Your wife has been fortunate." Rhaerys said as she stared into the cup before she went to take a sip. Daemon's laugh caused her to laugh when the cup only touched her lip. "You haven't put a child in her." Rhaerys said before lifting the cup back to her mouth.

"I doubt a child could grow in such hostile environs." Daemon spoke with a scoff.

Rhaerys choked back her laugh before she lost all playfulness.

"My mother was made to produce heirs until it killed her. I won't subject myself to the same fate." She said firmly.

"What happened to your mother was a tragedy. But this is a tragic world." Daemon said with a shake of his head. "You cannot live your life in fear, or you will forsakethe best parts of it." He added softly.

"I have no desire to live in fear." Rhaerys stated. "Only solitude." She concluded.

"Such a lonely prospect." Daemon said after a moment.

note: my christmas break started today! i'll be updating plenty. i missed you guys ;)