𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧

chapter thirteen

chapter thirteen . . .
chosen by the dragon

Rhaerys stormed out into the open as she snatched her gloves out of a pocket in her tunic before pulling them on rather roughly all whilst she walked towards her horse.

Once she was fully seated upon the horse, she sent the horse galloping through the crowds of people and ignored the panicked calls of Ser Criston Cole.

Rhaerys was angry.

How dare her father demand that she marry any man? It should be her choice.

Rhaerys's heavy pants filled the air as she galloped through a clearing in the woods, Ser Criston not too far behind.

"Princess, slow down!" He called to her, only to be ignored causing Ser Criston increased the speed of his horse. "Princess!" He shouted whilst reaching out a hand to grab a hold of the horse's reigns. "Whoa, woah, now!" He soothes as the horse began to panic.

Rhaerys rolled her eyes at this. She could never be simply left alone.

"What happened back there?" He asked as he began to remove his helmet.

"My father... trying to sell me off to Jason Lannister." Rhaerys spat. "Was I named heir to the Iron Throne so that I might only further raise the standing of a Lord of Casterly Rock?" She asked with tears gathering in her eyes that she refused to let fall.

"Do you want me to kill him?" Ser Criston asked. Rhaerys maintained her angry expression before turning to face Ser Criston and letting out a small laugh that they shared together.

"We should return to camp, Princess." Ser Criston suggested.

"It's a beautiful day..." Rhaerys begun with a tone of mischief. "We should take in the Kingswood." She added with a shrug.

The two of them then stepped down from their horses and held onto the reigns as they walked through the Kingswood. "Were you ever betrothed, Ser Criston?" Rhaerys asked.

"I had an adventurous youth when my father served at Blackhaven, to be sure. But my station was never high enough for a formal betrothal." He said. "Before I spoke my vows as a knight of the Kingsguard, I could've married a common-born girl had I wished." He added, answering Rhaerys's question.

"How lucky you are to have a say in your own life." Rhaerys sighed, imagining what her life could be life would be like if only her own fate were in her hands. But she could only imagine, she accepted that her fate had not been up to her, not since she entered the world.