𝐢𝐱. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐞𝐠𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟

chapter nine

chapter nine . . .
the dragon's egg thief

After the rather strange encounter Rhaerys had with the Princess Rhaenys, she and Rhaenyra once again went to attend to the cups of their father's Small Council.

A conversation in High Valyrian went on between a Dragonkeeper and the King Viserys.

"How is it possible that a dragon's egg was stolen out from beneath more than fifty Dragonkeepers?" Viserys questioned.

"It was the Prince Daemon who was the culprit, Your Grace..." The Dragonkeeper answered.

"Daemon?" Viserys asked in shock.

Rhaerys who had been sitting aside made eye contact with her sister who had been standing not too far from where she stood.

Daemon was many things to Rhaerys, and this, she wouldn't put it passed him.

"The Prince left a missive, which I believe might explain." Otto Hightower spoke before he went to read the letter that was left behind. "It is the pleasure of Daemon Targaryen, the Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne—"

This caused Rhaerys to turn her head sharply toward her father's hand at the mention of Daemon being the rightful heir.

Rhaerys felt rage like no other build inside of her, how could he even dare steal a dragon's egg over such a thing as the Iron Throne?

"To announce that he is to take a second wife in the tradition of Old Valyria. She is to assume the title of Lady Mysaria of Dragonstone. Her Grace is with child and is to have a dragon's egg placed in the babe's cradle in the custom of House Targaryen." He finished reading.

"The Prince has invited you to his wedding, Your Grace. It is in two days' time." The GrandMaestor— Mellos spoke.

"Gods be good." Lord Lyman Beebury sighed.

"Who is Lady Mysaria?" Lord Corlys asked.

"We believe—." Another Small Council memeber began to speak but Otto Hightower interjected .

"Daemon's whore." He simply said. "This is nothing less than sedition." He added in a monotone.

"I strongly agree, Sire." Lyonel Strong spoke.

"My brother wishes to provoke me." Viserys said. "The answer is to give him what he wants." He added.

"The realm is watching, Your Grace." Lord Corlys advised.

"What would you have me do?" Viserys asked. "Send him to the wall?" He added. "Perhaps I could put his head on a spike." He continued on.

"Daemon had seized Dragonstone, has surrounded himself with an warmth of gold cloaks, and has now stolen a dangerous weapon." Otto says.

"Which egg did he take?" Rhaerys muttered in Valyrian.

Apparently the Small Council had heard her loud and clear as they all turned to face her.

"Which egg did Daemon take? She repeated more clearly this time around.

Time seemed to have stopped as everyone awaited the answer of the Dragonkeeper.

"The egg was Dreamfyre's, Princess." He answered with a nod."The same that you chose for Prince Baelon's cradle." He added whilst he look toward Rhaerys.

Rhaerys paused as tears gathered into her eyes.

Daemon would stoop so low as to stealing the dragon's eggs that had been meant for her late brother.

"Assemble a detachment, Otto." Viserys demanded. "I will go to Dragonstone and drag Daemon back to face justice myself." He added before shoving to his feet to round the table.

"Your Grace." Otto called out, as he too stood to his feet. "My apologies, Your Grace, but I cannot allow it. It's too dangerous." He added. "Daemon is without limit. Let me go to Dragonstone." He suggested.

After everyone left the Small Council meeting, Rhaerys went to Rhaenyra, "I'll be going for a ride with Syrax." She told her before leaving rather quickly. Rhaerys knew what she'd have to do.