𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫

chapter thirty- two

chapter thirty- two . . .
protecting those who matter

Rhaerys listened in as her nephew learned Valaryian. She smiled as her sister walked into the room and corrected a word that he just so happened to mispronounce.

Her son, Viserion, who was now the age of seven, sat with a wet nurse as she read to him.

"Perhaps that's enough for this morning." Rhaenyra said.

"No, no. I- I want to keep going." Jace said hurriedly.  "Maester."

"You have plenty of time to study, young one." Rhaerys said as she rubbed her swollen belly.

Rhaerys had finally decided to have another child. After years of being wed to Daemon she wanted to she'd traveled and continued to create alliances. Traveling would be difficult if she was with child.

Their attention drew to the sound of the door closing and Daemon walked into their view.

"You look disgusting, husband." Rhaerys deadpanned before smiling brightly. "Leave us, please." Rhaenyra gathered her boys and Viserion and left the room, the Maester and wet nurse in tow.

Daemon handed out a scroll and Rhaerys plucked it from between his fingertips and quietly ran her eyes over the words.

"He means to call into question Luke's legitimacy. And by extension Jace. Those boys are Velaryon regardless of who fathered them." Rhaerys sighed.

"Vaemond cared only about Driftmark and the Velaryon line." Daemon said. "Has he made common cause with Otto Hightower yet?"

"Hm, this is what I fear. Rhaenys has flown to court. Surely she cannot be planning to back him." Rhaerys stressed to him.

"No. Whatever disagreements we may have had, she's not cruel... or stupid enough to do that." Daemon assured. "Has the viper's venom spread so far?"

"Those vipers rule in my father's name. And my father—" Rhaerys sighed. "What choice do I have? I will do anything to protect my sister."

The two pondered in silence.

Daemon reached out to stroke Rhaerys' belly softly, the two smiled.

"To King's Landing, then."

"All hail Princesses Rhaerys, Princess of Dragonstone, and the heir to the Iron Throne and her royal consort, Prince Daemon Targaryen." Steffon Darklyn, a knight on the king's guard announced as they arrived to King's Landing.