𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

chapter thirty- four

chapter thirty- four . . .
short lived happiness

Everyone gathered at what Rhaerys guessed was to be a family dinner.

She and the others stood as Viserys was brought in and sat once he was at his place at the head of the table.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." Viserys said as he gazed at his family.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent asked him.

"Yes."

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long." Alicent prayed. "And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems." Viserys said. "My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed." To which everyone raised their cups.

"Hear, Hear."

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys... the future Lord of the Tides."

"Hear, Hear."

Viserys stood. "It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world... yet brown so distant from each other in the years past." Viserys had began to remove the gold mask that covered the right side of his face.

The thud of the mask hitting the table sounded throughout the quiet room.

Rhaerys turned her face to her husband at the sight. Daemon stroked away the tear that fell from her eye.

"My own face... is no longer a handsome one... if indeed it ever was. But tonight... I wish you to see me as I am. Not just a king... but your father. Your brother. Your husband and your grand sire. Who may not, it seems... walk for much longer among you. Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances if not for the sake of the crown... then for the sake of this old man who loves you all so dearly." Viserys lowered himself back into his seat with labored breaths.

Rhaenyra stood and toasted to the Queen, giving her thanks for taking care of her father.

Alicent then raised her cup to Rhaenyra.

Prince Aegon cleared his throat and stood. "I um... I regret the disappointment you are soon to suffer." He said as he refilled the cup of Jace's betrothed. "But if you ever wish to know what it is to be well satisfied, all you have to do is ask." He whispered to her.

Jace stood and slammed his fists against the table harshly.

Aemond then stood.

"To Prince Aegon... and Prince Aemond. We have not seen each other in years, but I have fond memories of our shared youth." Jace spoke. "And as men, I hope we may yet be friends and allies. To you and your family's good health, dear uncles."

"To you as well." Aegon said after Luke gripped his shoulder.

Helaena then stood to toast to Baela and Rhaena.

"Let us have some music." Viserys said once the toasts were done.

Luke stood and offered his hand to Helaena to dance.

Viserys watched his family with a smile. He watched as they exchanged smiles and ate with one another.

Though he was soon taken away when he had began to feel ill.

Everyone stood at once.

"Please, sit down." Alicent said.

Aemond hit the table and stood with his cup raised, the music stopped abruptly.

"Final Tribute." He said. "To the health of my nephews, Jace... Luke... Joffery... We mustn't forget the little Viserion. Each of them handsome, wise... Some of them... strong."

"Aemond." Alicent warned.

"Come... let us drain our cups to these three... Strong boys."

"I dare you to say that again." Jace said.

"Why? ''Twas only a compliment." Aemond feigned ignorance as he began to walk towards Jace.

"Do you wish to lose your other eye, brother? You one-eyed lunatic." Rhaerys spat as she rose from her seat.

Her words went ignored as Jace landed a punch on Aemond's cheek.

Aegon slammed Luke against the table as he stood.

"Jace!" Rhaenyra called out.

"That is enough!" Alicent shouted.

Aemond pushed Jace to the floor.

Rhaerys gripped onto the cutlery knife tightly. As she went to throw it towards her brother, Daemon stood, taking the knife from her gently and rested it back on the table.

"Wait, wait." He said to Rhaenyra's boys as they struggled against the guards' grips.

"Go to your quarters. All of you go, now." Rhaenyra told the children.

Daemon sighed as he settled in front of Aemond.

Aemond hummed before leaving the room, Daemon followed.

"I think it's best if we returned to Dragonstone, sister." Rhaenyra said to Rhaerys. Rhaerys nodded.

"But you've only just arrived." Alicent rushed to Rhaenyra's side.

Rhaerys watched their sister Helaena. She tilted her head at the girl before walking towards her.

"Hello, sister." Rhaerys smiled at her. "I wish we could have spoken more." She added before pulling her into a hug.

Helaena hugged her sister back tightly.

"You are so very beautiful ." Rhaerys whispered. "There are not many like us" She added before turning to leave the room with Rhaenyra.

note: three updates in one night???????