𝐯. 𝐨𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐝𝐮𝐭𝐲

chapter five

chapter five . . .
one's duty

Rhaerys and Rhaenyra walked around the council room as they poured wine into the cups of the council members while they discussed kingdom matters.

Lord Corlys Velaryon, then came storming into the council room with a look of fury on his face. "Four ships have now been lost. "The last one was flying my banner." He said. "The Stepstones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business." He spat.

The hand of the king— Otto Hightower soon spoke. "If you've something to discuss, Lord Corlys—". His sentence hadn't been completed when Lord Corlys suddenly interrupted him.

"I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men." Lord Corlys said.

"The crown will compensate you for your ships and crew, and make an offering to the men's families." said Otto Hightower spoke as he began to be frustrated with Lord Corlys.

"I don't want compensation." Lord Corlys growled in anger before turning towards King Viserys. "I want to seize the Stepstones by force and burn out this Crabfeeder." He added more calmly.

"I am not prepared to start a war with the Free Cities." Viserys said blandly.

"These pirates are not the Free Cities." Lord Corlys said arguably.

"Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?" The king questioned.

"In all of it's history, my lord." The Master of Coin— Lyman Beesbury spoke. "The Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities. Were that to happen, the losses would be incalculable." He added, catching the attention of Rhaerys, who had been standing near by.

Lord Corlys then took slow, calculated steps towards the Master of Coin, causing him to lean back in his seat as Lord Corlys towered over him.

"What reason does the Crabfeeder have to fear us?" Lord Corlys asked. The council room then settled in to absolute silence. "The King's own brother has been allowed to seize Dragonstone and fortify it with an army of his gold cloaks. Daemon has squatted there for over half of a year without even a protest from The Crown." He added.

"I'll caution you, Lord Corlys, a seat at the King's table does not make you his equal." Otto Hightower reprimanded, causing Lord Corlys to smirk slightly.

"I have acted, Corlys." Viserys interjected. "I've sent envoys to Pentos and Volantis to see if we might find common cause. Ships and men are at the ready. The Stepstones will be settled in time." He added.