𝐱𝐱𝐢. 𝐰𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲

chapter twenty-one

chapter twenty-one . . .
we light the way

It was Rhaenyra's wedding day. Rhaerys spent the days groveling at her sister's needs and wants for her actions that led to the wedding being arranged.

Although, Rhaenyra excepted her apologies many times.

Ser Otto Hightower had been sent away and dismissed from his post as the king's hand, a result for his many actions.

As the Targaryen royal family sat in their seats at a table, the area had been filled with many people.

"Congratulations, Your Grace." Jason Lannister said as he approached the table. "You have made a fine match for the Princess."

Rhaerys scoffed at this. The man had not long ago been salivating to wed her.

"Thank you, Lord Jason." Rhaenyra said. "I could think of no better man than Ser Laenor." She added.

"Well, if this is only the welcome feast, I admit, I cannot imagine what you might have planned for the wedding." Jason said.

"My daughter is the Princess. I wanted this to be the wedding for the histories." Viserys said with a smile.

"Where is the queen?" Jason asked. "I had hoped to pay my respects."

"I understand the Queen is still in readying herself for the celebrations." Viserys answered.

"This is why men wage war because women would never be ready for the battle in time." Jason said, receiving a hesitant laugh from Viserys.

Rhaenyra looked towards Rhaerys who's face supported a look of disgust as she sneered up at the man.

"Your presence is always such a pleasure, Lord Jason." Rhaerys sighed as she poked down at the meat on the plate in front of her.

"Princesses, Your Grace." The Lannister said with a bow before taking his leave.

The royals were soon to be approached by the Hightowers who were stopped on their way by a man.

"Your Grace." The man greeted. "Princess Rhaenyra, congratulations are in order."

"We are very honored to have you as a guest, Ser Gerold." Viserys said to the man. "I must say, I was most distressed to hear of the Lady Rhea's tragic passing. I'm very sorry for your loss."

Rhaerys sat up straight in her seat at the mention of her uncle's wife.

"Lady Rhea was a unique character." Ser Gerold said. "Her kind is not soon to be seen again."