𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐬𝐞𝐚

chapter seventeen

chapter seventeen . . .
king of the narrow sea

Rhaerys and Rhaenyra stood side by side as they gazed upon the ocean's blue waters.

"I'm sorry." Rhaerys spoke. At her sister's confused gaze she continued. "I'm sorry, I feel like I've rushed this onto you for my own reasons of not being ready to be wed yet."

"It's alright, Rhaerys. I don't blame you for any of this, I never will." Rhaenyra stated as she gripped her sister's hand into her own.

With a sigh of relief, Rhaerys placed her head upon Rhaenyra's shoulder, seeking comfort from the feeling of being near her sister.

"We should make landfalll inside the hour, Princess." Ser Criston said as he stood behind the two girls, catching their attention, Rhaerys standing straight.

"How do you think he will take it?" Rhaenyra asked Ser Criston as she winced slightly at the thought of her father's wrath.

"Do you speak of how you rejected every suitor His Grace put before you, or how you abruptly ended the tour with two months remaining?" Ser Criston asked.

Rhaenyra looked to Rhaerys who gave her a smile of reassurance.

"Don't worry, I'll tell father I'd rushed us home early because I had not been feeling well." Rhaerys said as she brought their still joined hands together and laid a kiss of promise onto Rhaenyra's palm.

Before Rhaenyra could respond, the sound of a dragon's screech filled their ears, causing them to turn their heads sharply in the direction.

Ser Criston left the two to get a closer look at the dragon, but it was nowhere in sight.

The twin Targaryens watched with furrowed brows as no dragon came into view.

"Take cover!" Ser Criston shouted to everyone aboard, them quickly doing so.

Caraxes— Rhaerys would know that dragon from anywhere.

Caraxes large and red, ridden by Daemon Targaryen, flew by the ship, sending the people and Rhaerys tumbling, Rhaerys harshly into the side of the ship.

"Princess." Ser Criston said with concern as he rushed to the Princesses side as he checked them thoroughly.

"You all right?" He asked Rhaerys as she held her head that she'd bumped as she tumbled down in her fall. "Are you?" He asked Rhaenyra who nodded her head rapidly and she looked her sister over for any injuries.

"Fetch the maester!" Ser Criston shouted to a nearby man who nodded and quickly turned on his heel.

"I'm fine." Rhaerys assured as she dropped her hand slightly and turned to where the dragon had been headed.

In the direction of King's Landing.

Rhaerys and Rhaenyra managed to follow into the crowd of people who'd walked into the throne room.

Rhaerys knew he'd be here, and she kept a watchful eye out for him.

The girls caught the eye of their father, which they quickly avoided, as he watched them with furrowed brows at their early return home.

"It's Daemon." A nearby woman whispered, catching the attention of Rhaerys.

The throne room was silent, until the sound of footsteps nearing the doors were heard through every ear. Everyone turned to face the doors as Daemon stepped through the doors.

He looked different. His hair was shorter.

Rhaerys smiled as she saw him.

Daemon walked down the steps into the open path towards the king's throne.

Rhaerys watched his every move, she even left her place next to Rhaenyra to keep up with his steps.

Daemon was stopped short when the sword that'd been pointed at his chest finally met the rough material of his armor for the weapon he held as he neared the king.

Flipping the ax, Daemon held it out. "Add it to the chair." He stated before dropping it, sending the sound of the metal hitting the floor.

Rhaerys smirked at her uncle's actions.

Daemon crossed his arms in front of himself as he held his gaze to his brother's, whilst Ser Harrold picked up the ax.

"You wear a crown." Viserys stated as he gazed at the crown that rested upon Daemon's head. "Do you also call yourself King?" He asked.

"Once we smashed the Triarchy, they named me King of the Narrow Sea." Daemon said, sending the people into hushed whispers. "But I know that there is only one true king, Your Grace." He stated before bending down onto one knee. "My crown and the Stepstones... are yours." Daemon added as he begun to remove his crown and holding out towards his brother.

"Where is Lord Corlys?" Viserys asked as he gazed around the throne room.

"He sailed home to Driftmark." Daemon stated.

"Who holds the Stepstones?" Viserys questioned.

"The tides... the crabs, and two-thousand dead Triarchy corsairs, staked to the sand to warn those who might follow." Daemon said.

Viserys watched Daemon for a beat before descending the steps from his throne towards him, the sound of Viserys' sword hitting the floor as he walked.

Viserys took the crown from Dameon's outstretched hand, scrutinizing it before handing it off to Ser Harrold.

The throne room was settled into silence as everyone watched with anticipation as the brothers studied each other.

"Rise." Viserys said to Daemon.

Daemon stood and began to shuffle on his feet under his brother's gaze.

Viserys laid his palm onto Daemon's shoulder, Daemon then leaned into his brother's embrace, sending the crowd into cheers.

Rhaerys smiled at the displayed before she too began to clap.

"The realm owes you a great debt, brother." Viserys said to Daemon. "Come." He added as he led Daemon out of the throne room.

note: four chapters in 2 hours? let's go.

i'm done for the night thought guys :)

good night, and happy thanksgiving to all!