Back From the Future

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us, Mom?" Trunks asked. "There's plenty of room."

"I know, sweetie. And I appreciate the offer, I really do. But I think it's best if I stay here, just in case." Bulma tucked some of her graying blue hair behind her ear, smiling warmly at Trunks and I.

"Well we'll make sure to say to everyone for you, then," my husband replies, pulling his mother into a hug. "And it's not like we'll be gone long either."

About two months ago, Bulma came to Trunks and I, telling us that she had managed to upgrade the time machine - the same one Trunks had used to travel back all those years ago to save our families from the Androids. She said that it was now more reliable when you travel back, taking you directly to where you wish to go, down to the very second. Bulma also claims that it can also travel back to the timeline that Trunks had visited. Due to the whole alternate timeline situation, we thought that it was impossible return there. But Bulma says she was able to reprogram the ship. I couldn't really understand how, though. A bunch of science terms that, even after spending my whole life with the Briefs, I still couldn't decipher.

"For you anyway," Bulma chuckles as they break apart. "For me it's gonna seem like forever without you two and the kids!"

Now it's my turn to laugh. "Admit it; you'll be dancing with glee once we're gone. A whole month to yourself!"

"The first one I've had in a long, long time," she says distantly. "The last time had to be before Goku died... That much I know for sure."

The mention of my father's name made me want to leave all the sooner. I hadn't seen him since that day eight years ago when he - along with Chi-Chi, Gohan, and Vegeta - had shown up to spend the day with us. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that Trunks was feeling the same.

We did never quite figure out why there was such a large time difference between here and the past. But Bulma, Trunks and I had been able to find the ratio of past to present. If we were going to be gone for a month here, it would only be about twenty four hours in the past. A whole day to see my parents and brother again.

"Are guys ready yet? You're taking forever!" Vegeta complains. I look up to see him leaning out over the edge of the time machine, his green eyes impatient.

I rolled my eyes. At ten, my son was already starting to get the infamous "I know everything" attitude. It could be highly annoying at times, but it wasn't really something I could blame him for. It was a trait he inherited from his parents and grandparents.

"Have you and Soul said your goodbyes to Bubba yet?" Trunks questioned, ignoring Vegeta's remark. The boy nodded. "Yeah, like four hours ago! Now come on!" His face disappeared back inside the machine and I could just picture him sitting in a chair, arms crossed, and tail swaying behind him irritably.

Bulma chuckles. "They both said goodbye, don't worry about it. But he's right; don't put it off too much longer. I'm already going to miss you as is!"

I smiled, stepping forward and hugging my mother-in-law. "Hey, it's like Trunks said. We won't be gone long. I promise."

Bulma hugged me back tightly. "Good. I'll hold you to that."

Laughing, I pulled away. Trunks took my hand, squeezing lightly. I smiled at him.

"Momma, Veggie hit me!" I suddenly hear Soul yell from inside the machine.

"Did not!" her brother replied loudly.

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

Trunks sighed beside me. "Well, I think that's our cue. See you soon, Mom. I love you."

"I love you guys too," the blue haired woman says, smiling warmly at us. Still holding my hand, Trunks and I flew up to the cockpit where our kids sat. They immediately settled down once they saw us.