Chapter Twenty-Three

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

I groan, sitting up.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Standing up, I quickly slip my robe on, open my door the rest of the way and walk across the hall.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I whisper, walking up to Vegeta's crib. Picking the crying infant up, I gently bounce him, whispering soothing words.

"It's okay, honey. It's alright. Mommy's here. Mommy's got you."

Vegeta slowly starts to stop crying. Glancing at the clock, I sigh. It's four-oh-three, and I don't think I've slept at all tonight.

Sighing again, I lay Vegeta back down on his crib. As soon as he touches the mattress though, he lets out another wail. Moaning, I pick him up again.

"What's wrong?" I ask him, sitting down in the rocking chair. Slowly rocking, I sing Softy Kitty to him. Okay, so it was from an adult show, but hey, Vegeta seemed to love the song. 

He finally calmed down again. Not wanting to risk a repeat, I carefully got up and went over the the pictures hanging on his wall. There were thirteen in total, each showing a different Z-Fighter, including Bulma, Chi-Chi, Grandpa, Trunks and I.

I smile, looking at the pictures. It was Bulma's idea. So Vegeta knew what they all looked like. We added her, Chi-Chi, Grandpa, Trunks and I in case one of us ever were to die.

"There's your father," I whisper to him, pointing out Trunks. "And your Uncle Gohan, Grandpa Goku one of the people you're named after, and Grandpa Vegeta, the other person you're named after."

Vegteta looked at each picture with interest. He looked at Trunks the longest. He reached for the picture, so I took it off the wall and held it next to him. He looked at it for a little longer, then touched the picture.

"Da-da," He said, still looking at the picture. I gasped. His first word, and he was only three months. He was like me.

Looking back up at me, Vegeta once more said, "Da-Da," though this time it sounded more like a question.

"Yes, that's daddy," I tell him.

Vegeta shakes his head. "Da-Da?" He asks again. He keeps pointing at Trunks. At first, I don't understand. Then it hits me. He's asking where Trunks is.

"I..." I start, choking up. Taking a deep breath, I try again. "Daddy went to the past. So he could fight and kill the nasty Androids from here."

Vegeta looks back down at the picture, then back up at me. I knew what he wanted to hear. It's the same thing I would want to hear.

"I don't know when he'll come back. He's been gone for a long time..." I glance back over at the clock. It's four twenty on August twenty-first. It's been a year since Trunks left.

I felt tears run down my face. I don't know how much longer I could go without Trunks. A year has been way too long.

I can also feel Vegeta, looking at me, waiting for me to look back at him. I slightly laugh. Trunks and I would always do that to each other.

After I place the picture back on the wall, I wipe my tears with my free hand. Vegeta is still staring at me, so I smile at him and kiss his forehead.

"It's time to go to sleep," I tell him. He nods.

Walking over, I place him back into his crib. He doesn't protest. Instead, he closes his eyes and quickly falls asleep.

Breathing out a sigh of relief, I walk out of his room, closing the door slightly. As I turned around to go back to my room, I sighed. Walking down to the bathroom, I got a very quick shower. When I get back to my room, I braid my still wet hair and dress in my favorite outfit--My blue, paint splattered tank top that says, "A world without art is just 'eh'", and a pair of grey slacks, equally paint splattered.

Heading for the stairs, I paused at Vegeta's room. Peering in, I could tell that he was sound asleep. Thank god.

Going the rest of the way, I paused once more. This time, it was at Trunks' room. The door sits half way open, not having been moved in a year.  Taking a deep breath, I push it open. Surprisingly, it doesn't creak.

A fine layer of dust covers everything in sight. The sheets lay at a crumpled heap at the end of the bed. I didn't bother making it when I got up that morning. As I walk around the rest of the room, I can see that everything sits exactly where it did a year ago. Nothing has been moved.

I smile when I find the picture sitting on his dresser. Picking it up, I wipe the dust off. It's of Gohan, him, Bulma, Chi-Chi and I before Gohan died. We were all so happy, even with the Androids threatening everything we did.

Tears well up as I put the picture back down. Everything seems to hit the fan at once and it sucked.

Going over to the window, I force it open. A nice breeze blows through the stale room. The sun hasn't yet shown its self, but it will within the next two hours.

When I turn back to the room I see that the wind barley even touched the thick dust.

"Well, I know what I'm doing today," I announce to the empty room. Trunks wouldn't want to come back to a dusty room.

Before I leave, I write something in the dust. Just one sentence. But it carries the weight of the  world on it's shoulders.

I am nobody's guinea pig, but I'm always your Pigeon, Monkey Boy: Never surrender.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey! What do ya all think of the pic over to the side??? My friend sent it to me thinking it would be awesome for this chapter!! I think she's totally right!!!

Just so we're clear, that picture is NOT mine, nor do I claim ownership! I just thought it was funny how well it matched, so I'd share it! ^^