City Lights

"She sits on that windowsill every night, just watching the stars. Her long hair hangs down her back like a dark curtain. Her green eyes never leave the soft glowing lights that shine below. Every now and then she brushes a strand of hair from her face...she's quite beautiful."

That was my last journal entry, the last place I put my bookmark, and that journal is now in her hands as her eyes scan over the words, and her finger brushes against the page every so often. I rock back and forth on my heels waiting for the shame, or embarrassment that might flush her cheeks.

"It's really-"

"Terrible?" I cut her off. Her eyes looked up at me and she gave a soft smile.

"No, I think it's...cute." She said softly. Her voice could send me to heaven, I swear.

"Really?!" I heard myself squeal like a fanboy, a boy who's just been noticed by his crush. "Sorry." I cleared my throat and looked the other way trying to hide my warm cheeks.

"Do you have anymore like this?" She asked. I turned to her and could've died on the spot. She wants to read more? Of my cringey, hopeless romantic...never mind.

"Yeah..." I nervously rubbed the back of my neck, "You don't think it's creepy?" She shook her head and gave me a bright smile. One that makes you melt on the spot.

"I think it's wonderful, I think it's sweet...I like it." Those three words and I swear my heart has leapt to the moon and I don't think it's ever coming back.

"I wrote another one...it's kind of similar, but a little different..." I held ut my hand and she handed me the journal so I could find the right page, "Ah, here."

Her eyes carefully scanned every word and her face grew a shade of pink. She carefully closed the book and placed her head in her hands.

"Is something wrong?" Panic filled my chest as I watched every action of hers carefully.

"No it's just....." she had tears running down her face and all I could think to myself is I've really done it now.

"No one's written something that amazing....about me before." It barely came out as a whisper. I don't remember running over there to hold her but then I did.

"Well now you've got me who can write a poem for you every day." She smiled and wiped away the tears.

"Okay..." she wrapped her arms around my neck and I swear when I looked over my shoulder a shooting star crossed the night sky.

————————

Sorry for the long wait 😅