5

Hiding was always a skill of mine

Hiding was always a skill of mine. It started off as a simple game of hide and seek, but later, it progressed to so much more.

When the sound of heavy footsteps mixed with high heels stomped against the hard wood floor. The smell of alcohol and cigarette that engulfed the house in which I lived. The twisting of the squeaky doorknob.

They all played an essential role for me to learn how to hide. Unfortunately, hiding became less than a game, and more of a necessity. Without hiding, the places I would be are completely horrific.

If it weren't for those friends I made, and the family I was welcomed too, I'd spend the rest of my life hiding. The comfort they brought me was nothing I had ever experienced, and I was not willing to lose it.

"Can I borrow one of your phones?" I asked as the three of them.

The plane had landed moments ago, and we were walking down the insanely steep steps. The three of them turned around, looking at me curiously before Christopher took out his phone.

As I was about to take it from his offering hand, he pulled it back with a daring look. "Who are you going to call?"

"Some friends of Daniel's." I answered.

They all tensed up at the mention of his name, guilty and remorseful expressions on their faces. Glancing at the ground, Christopher handed me his phone.

"We'll wait in the car." He said, as the three of them piled into the waiting black jeep.

Typing in the number Daniel had me memorise, I waited anxiously as the phone rang in my hand. After a moment, he answered the call, his voice still as deep and scary as I remember.

"Who the fuck is this?"

"That's no way to speak to a 'little girl' Teddy." I scolded playfully, a smirk making its way onto my face.

"Kiddo?" His tone was full of hope and joy, cracking as he spoke.

"It's me." My eyes pooled with tears, the pain of hearing his voice once again after so many months creeping back into my heart.

"Holy shit." He muttered. "GUYS! ITS THE KID!"

The sound of the thundering footsteps echoed across the room. I could hear the cheers and shouts of all the friends I left behind. Even a few slaps of them fighting for the phone. It didn't end till Teddy yelled that he'd put it on speaker if they let him talk.

"Kalina, where are you?" Teddy asked, fear seeping in his words.

When I didn't answer, he repeated my name in his scarily provoking tone, and I finally answered, "L.A."

And the screams and shouts returned...

You'd think grown men would be a bit more mature

"QUIET!" Teddy demanded, and silence filled the phone. "Kal, how did you get there? Who are you with?"