20

As we pulled into the gates of the estate, I told Tommaso to go inside and we'll follow him in

As we pulled into the gates of the estate, I told Tommaso to go inside and we'll follow him in. Kalina didn't hear anything from the headphones in her ears. I think he knew it was about the writing thing, but he said nothing.

Tommaso left the car, and as Kalina was about to go as well, I gently grabbed her hand to stop her. Hesitantly, she sat back down and took out her headphones and turned towards me.

"You know we need to talk about the writing and reading." I told her, offering a soft smile.

Sighing, she simply nodded her head.

"Kalina, it's either you talk to me or Christopher and Mateo about it." I explained to her.

I would gladly help my sister with this if she needed. It's obvious she's self conscious about it, but it needs to be addressed. Christopher would sit her down with a medical professional and do test after test.

That's not what her self esteem needs.

"I just... I try and I try and I try. But I can't do it." She mumbled.

For the first time since I met her, I saw part of that confident facade crack. A single tear rolled down her cheek, as she stared at the ground.

"Is it like a disability or you weren't taught?" I cautiously asked.

She just shrugged her shoulders, "I don't even know."

Sighing, I reached across the console of the car and brought her into a hug. Instantly she latched onto me, hiding her head away in my chest.

We stayed there for a few minutes, once again she accepted the comfort I offered.

To everyone, they only see what's on the outside. I'm a brooding asshole who fights and hurts people for fun, flunks school for the bad boy act. Society says I'll be dead, an addict or in prison by twenty. The underworld says I'm probably one of the most powerful and deadly people there is. To my family I'm the hot head, overprotective brother/son who causes trouble and scandal for the sake of it.

But deep down, behind the anger issues and violence, all I want is my family to be happy.

With Tommaso, I mess around with him because he loves pranks and banter. With Stefano, I'll sit beside him as he draws in his sketch book, peacefully relaxing. With Antonio, I let him mother me and teach me, Mafia or otherwise, because it brings him comfort to know he tried. Mateo and I cook meals together and we have late night drives, grounding him into reality of the world he has been devoured by in the mafia. And Dad, I simply let him be a parent, taking his advice and bonding with him. As a child I would rely on him to help me fall asleep at night, and as I got older, I relied on him to teach me the ways of the mafia.