40

Storming the warehouse, the five of us shot down any man or woman who was in our way

Storming the warehouse, the five of us shot down any man or woman who was in our way. The boys subconsciously formed a protective barrier around me, hiding me away from the swarm of bullets in the air.

Pushing past Ace and Carter, I took the lead, shooting my way through the guards and travelling further into the building.

"For fuck sake." I heard Aidan grumble over the gun fire; following behind with his gun raised.

Glass shattered, bangs echoed, bodies fell, and blood spilled.

When an army of guards came barrelling through the large metal doors, Aidan wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me behind him, firing shots as he did so.

Pushing me towards a door at the side, Aidan shouted at me "Go."

The look in his eyes was fearful, but he knew I wasn't turning back. He knew I needed to do this, so he made sure I got the chance to.

Bursting through the door, a silent corridor stood before me, not a guard in sight, dim lights brightening the way.

Jogging cautiously through the corridor, I saw a door at the end, a large padlock on the outside.

Breaking the lock with the butt of my gun, I threw the door open and charged through. It was a bedroom, decorated in blue paint, Spider-Man littering the room in artwork and toys.

"Mama?"

The voice I had longed to hear for so many months. The little Angel I had missed since the day he was taken. It was like a knife had stabbed my heart and blood was oozing through the wound in my chest.

While I may be his aunt biologically, I was his mother. He only ever saw me as such, and refused to call me anything else.

"Hey Trouble." I smiled softly to him.

Stood on the open floor to length window was Spencer Gatwick, Lorenzo in his arms as tears stained his chubby little cheeks. One wrong move, and my nephew could fall to his death...

"Hello baby, missed me?"

Glaring, I turned my gaze to Spencer, who stood there with his menacing smirk. He didn't want to frighten Lorenzo, I've always known he loved him like a little brother, so there was no gun in hand. But I know Spencer, he'd do anything to get me trapped again.

Even if it meant killing a child he cared for.

"Can't say I have." I snarled, taking a slow step forward.

"I wouldn't move if I were you Kalina." He replied, taking a quick glance to the pavement three floor below.

"What do you want?" I asked, placing my gun on the floor as an act of compliance.

"What I've always wanted. You."

"Why? What's you're obsession with me?" I had been wanting to ask this question for almost a year now.

Why me? What was so special about an abused Italian girl from England. Why was I so important to Spencer that he couldn't let me go.

"I love you Kalina." Spencer said, a genuine smile on his face. "I always have, you're the first girl I've ever loved, all you need to do is except that you love me back."

The softness of his features, the genuineness of his tone, it was like the first time we were together. Before he went crazy, possessive and obsessive.

Spencer was once a kind and caring man, much like Aidan in a way, yet I surprisingly don't have the sense of insecurity around Aidan. Almost as if that I'd had so much bad luck, my heart convinced my mind that I'm safe around Aidan.

I think, at some point, I did love Spencer. I loved the security he gifted me, the warmth I felt in his embrace, the privileged life he granted me. However, i wouldn't go back to it because with the love and kindness and care, cane abuse and manipulation.

Everything happened so fast. In a flash the door of the room was burst open once again, Jamie tumbling inside gun raised, Carter not too far behind.

Shocked, Spencer turned and aimed his weapon at the two, tripping due to his fast speed. Stumbling on the ledge, his grip loosened and my heart stopped.

All I could do was watched as Lorenzo's little feet fell from the edge, and hear the screams and pleas for help as he fell.

Red was all I could see, bolting to a startled Spencer and dragging him back into the room, punch after punch unleashing on his face.

A faint buzzing was all I could hear as I cried and screamed, attacking Spencer with everything I had. Hands pulled at my shoulders, desperately trying to pull me away.

But nothing could stop me.

There was no bringing me back.

They say insanity is a thing no one wished to experience; the dreaded feeling on realising you have truly lost your mind.

The uncertainty that the voice in your head is really yours, and not just someone else's. I've always wanted to know, what truly makes a person go mad.

Now I know.

It's the pain, the agony that swarms your heart and mind, clawing at your insides to escape. It is not the loss of happiness that brings upon insanity, but the loss of hope.

The second I watched my little nephew, my baby boy, fall from that window, I lost all hope. He may have been Daniel's son, but he was my little boy. I was the mother he needed when his own left him, I was the aunty he needed to spoil him, I was the sister he needed to play with at any time.

I thought I could take it, take the risk of never seeing Lorenzo again. What I didn't anticipate, was that it would be him who was dead and not myself...

 What I didn't anticipate, was that it would be him who was dead and not myself