25

I like to believe I am not an overly strict parent

I like to believe I am not an overly strict parent. I grew up being controlled by my father and over coddled by my mother. I just simply couldn't win in both of their eyes.

I never wanted to be anything like them. I wanted my children to feel comfortable enough to talk to me. I wanted them to experience the freedom that was stolen from me.

It was going so well; till I met Kalina.

That's not to say I wish she wasn't here, because I am overjoyed at the presence of my daughter and so are her brothers. But I just wish I knew how to bond with her and keep her safe at the same time. She refuses to talk about her past, or even begin a conversation about it.

I respect that, but she is beyond difficult. The fact that my own daughter is uncomfortable talking to me is agonizing. Though I am thankful she talks to Tommaso and Tristan. I've learnt that she shared information with them, for example, not being able to read or write. It is a mystery to me how she cannot do those things, but I will help her when she asks for it. My main priority is getting her some glasses, as Tristan thinks that may be the issue.

However, I am thankful she isn't at home tonight.

"For fuck sake!" Antonio yelled.

Tristan was dragging Tommaso inside the house, blood dripping from the latter's shoulder and onto the floor. The younger groaned as his brother left him sitting against the dining room table.

"What happened?" Mateo questioned as he inspected Tommaso's wound.

"Jamie Andrews shot me." Tommaso groaned as Mateo ripped his t-shirt.

Jamie Andrews, son to Melissa Andrews. His mother is a world renowned underground fighter. We've had our fair share of run ins, and I have a decent amount of scars to prove it. Jamie grew up with Anthony Vecoli in Aberdeen, the two have been the reasons for some of our biggest problems.

"Bastard." I seethed.

"In all fairness, you did take his title from him." Tristan chuckled.

Like his mother, Jamie is an underground fighter. So is Tommaso. They fought against each other six weeks ago, and Tommaso took his title as reigning champion of the lightweight division for fifteen months.

"Not the fucking point." Tommaso glared.

"Come on lad, you know what we have to do." I said, taking the bottle of vodka.

Sighing, Tommaso took the bottle from my hand and  drank half the bottle. He undid his belt and pulled it straight, before putting it in his mouth. Giving a stiff nod, he passed back the bottle.

I poured the vodka over the bullet wound in his shoulder, tuning out his groans and muffled screams.

I don't want to hear my child in pain