10

When I first met Kalina, I was shocked to say the least

When I first met Kalina, I was shocked to say the least. The nonchalance she showed as she smoked on the cigarette with ease. The clear knife and burn scars on her hand, and a faint scars on her bicep.

It was clear she was comfortable with them, meaning they were from when she was younger. She reminded me so much of our mother and Tommaso, it was actually a bit scary. She was like a smaller version of her and a female version of him. I knew in that moment she was my sister.

But the loneliness in here eyes; that's what scared me most.

The idea that after Daniel, she was alone. That we've spent the past seventeen years happy -as happy as we can be in our family- all together. And she was alone.

With no one to hold her hand when she cried. No one to teach her how fight and pull pranks on her siblings. That we didn't get chance to teach her how to ride a bike or swim.

That idea is unbelievable for me, being the second oldest, I've always had my brothers.

Working in the mafia, as the Underboss, there have been numerous times where I have had to leave home for business trip. And with Mateo training to become Don very shortly, he has had to travel too. Even just a night away from home was agonising.

There was no yells for quietness from Mateo, no grunts and middle fingers from Stefano. I had to survive without Tristan's outbursts of anger and frustration. I couldn't hear Tommaso sprinting down stairs for food on an evening, so sneaking down for a midnight snack.

The poor guy thinks he so slick doing it without being caught, when really, we've all heard him do it since he was four years old. We simply didn't have the heart to tell him.

The first time he did it, he entered the kitchen the next morning with dried chocolate around his lips and the hot chocolate powder still left out on the counter. For the sake of his young mind, we pretended not to notice anything.

He smiled the whole day.

Once Tommaso had decided that we had shopped to our heart's content, we headed home. Since Kalina and Stefano arrived at the food court, she was practically mute. It was simple sentence or single word answers.

"Do you need help bringing the bags inside?" Watching as she struggled to lift three bag, I offered some assistance.

"Um...sure." Was all she said.

Throwing her ponytail behind her back, she turned around and went inside the house. I followed her to her bedroom with eight bags in hand, walking with ease.

She just rolled her eyes at the bags, opening her bedroom door and putting them on the bed. After another two trips downstairs, we had all the bags with the help of a guard.

As she went to begin organising the clothes, I took out the storage boxes for all sorts of stuff she bought. 

"What are you doing?" Kalina questioned, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.