13

When I met the members of the club for the first time, I was scared shitless

When I met the members of the club for the first time, I was scared shitless. All of them were smoking and drinking and getting high, just like all the monsters I met before, all of them intimidating and ruthless.

The second they saw me though, all drinks were placed down and the cigarettes put out, each and every one of them interested in the child that was brought before them by a member. When Daniel explained the situation of our home -what he was aware of- they practically adopted me.

Everyday after school, Daniel would take me to the club house where they all smoked and drank happily, occasionally doing business. There was always someone there to make me feel safe, and ready to protect me.

Sitting on the armchair of the couch, Maddie and I shared a cigarette between the two of us, each holding a corona in hand. Men surrounded the room wearing their leather Chained Angels biker jackets, women desperate for a man in the deadliest gang in the city flirting shamelessly.

"I've missed this." I laughed, puffing out a breath of smoke.

"We've missed you." Caleb replied, sitting down on the couch adjacent to my own.

The music blared through the room as the party continued, celebrating a new business deal gone through. Maddie and Ace closed a deal with another gang, selling military grade weapons.

The Chained Angels deal in just about anything, but we are the biggest suppliers for drugs. That way, we can control who the drugs are dealed to, for example, kids will not receive drugs from us.

"Kal!" Jamie shouted from across the room.

Skipping happily, I stopped in front of him, as he held a pool cue in his hand with a baffled look on his face. He was playing against Ace, who stood there with a smug grin on his face.

"Yes." I said, fully aware of his situation but wanting him to confess himself.

"I...I can't get the shot."

In our family, Teddy and Daniel were the best pool players. They could get a shot from anywhere and won every game they played.

And I was taught by both of them.

Taking the cue from his hand, I aligned it with the ball, and potted the black ball that Jamie couldn't get in the whole. He started cheering along with all the bystanders who were watching, while Ace sulked in his corner.

Sitting on the pool table, Jamie and I laughed and talked about his time in America, and my time in juvie. There was story after story shared between the two of us, while we drank and smoked the night away.