41

When I heard from my guards that Kalina had tried to leave through the gates during the night, I told them to allow her to go

When I heard from my guards that Kalina had tried to leave through the gates during the night, I told them to allow her to go. I knew where she was going, that she was going to find Lorenzo.

I knew she loved him as her own, that was obvious. Carter told me of how she collapsed to the car park floor as the boy was taken from her once more. I wouldn't stop her from trying. It is not my place to do so.

When I got word that she had left, I called for my brother, Ace and Jamie. We met her at the warehouse we had tracked down the previous day.

Originally we were planning an attack with her family, but there was no convincing Kalina. We sent word to her family, but they were on the other side of the city, further into the rural areas. It'd take them a few hours to arrive at least.

As Ace and I fought our way through the army filled corridor, I subconsciously kept glancing back at the double doors I sent Kalina through. Even while fighting, I was worried for her.

I've tried to deny it for months, that I don't feel this way, that it's wrong to feel this way, but I can't. I've never met someone quite like her. She wears her pain and scars like a badge of armour, after everything she's been through, she's still strong. Her consideration and care for others is admirable. Her intelligence shines from deep within beautifully.

The cute scrunch of her button nose when she doesn't like something, the shininess of her pale blue eyes, the small symbolic tattoos littering her tan skin, the glasses that are in her long curly hair. Her 'I don't give a fuck attitude' and her stubbornness I find adorably frustrating.

I know I can't try anything with her, there's so many reasons not to. She's a Montessori, my enemy's daughter. She's the closest thing Ace has to a sister. She's my brother's best friend. She's still seventeen.

But I'm infatuated by her,

"Carter!" I shouted, slicing the throat of a man coming at me.

"Where's Kalina?" He replied, punching a woman who tried to stab him.

"I sent her down the hall, you and Jamie go after her." I ordered, cutting down men and women in my path.

The two did as I said, turning and running towards Kalina with haste. After some time, both Ace and I had killed every one of Spencer's men, a pile of dead bodies swarming the corridor.

"Let's go around the back, in case the need us." Ace said.

I followed Ace down the stairs, our daggers still in hand incase of any surprises. We made it three
floors down just above the garages. There was a large balcony, the doors open and wind blowing at the curtains.

"Let's keep an eye out for back up." I said to Ace, the two of us making our way to the balcony.

The view was of the fence and gate we broke through to get into the property. Leaning against the railing, I watched as Ace stood beside me.

Then a harsh punch landed on my cheek.

"What the fuck!" Roaring I stood back up, face to face with Ace and his nonchalant expression.

"That's for looking at Kalina." Ace replied, a small smile breaking out onto his face. "Don't act like you don't know, not even Carter could carve such a deep place in your stone heart."

"So are you mad or..." I asked, confused as to where this conversation was going.

"I was at first, I mean, you're practically noncing on my little sister." I frowned at his words. "You wait till she's eighteen, and you'll have my full support."

I took a moment to take in his words, after all, perhaps my future depended on them. My plan was to keep fucking my hook ups every night like I had been doing -apart from when Kalina was at my house- to try and get over her. But it hasn't been working.

I'm addicted to her like a junkie on cocaine. There just so much more I want to know about her, I want to care for her, hold her in my arms, protect her from all the shit she's had to put up with...

I want to love her the way she deserves to be loved.

"I've tried to get over her-"

"But you can't." Ace finished before I could, a cheeky smile on his face. "Imagine the day, Aidan Rossi admitted he was falling in love."

"I never said-"

Once again I was cut off, but the time by a scream from above. Looking up, I saw a tiny frame falling from the floors above.

Reaching over the balcony, almost falling myself till Ace grabbed ahold of my legs, I caught the small person in my arms, their arms circling my neck as I cradled them to my chest.

"Enzo..." Ace whispered, a tear slipping out his eye.

Then I realised, in my arms, I was holding Lorenzo Montessori. The boy we had been fighting to save was safe in my hold, I wasn't letting him go till I gave him to Kalina.

"Enzo, was your mama up there with you?" Ace asked, catching onto my train of thought.

"She was with the bad man." Lorenzo sobbed out, shaking as he bunched my shirt in his small hand.

Realisation crossed the both of our faces, and within seconds we were bolting up the stairs at an intense and inhuman pace. Ace bolted through the slammed open doors, where groans and screams of anger could be heard.

Carefully, I followed after him, keeping Lorenzo's eyes on my chest, incase it was too harsh for young eyes. And it was.

Kalina was ontop of Spencer, who's face had become almost recognisable in a sea of blood and swelling. Teeth were knocked scattered across the floor, knife marks cutting apart his body.

"Kalina!" I shouted to her as she went to land another punch.

Her eyes snapped to mine, a there was only one word to describe the look on her face; broken. Mascara stained her cheeks as tears continued flow from her eyes. There was little splatters of blood on her face and neck, though there was buckets on her body.

Then her eyes started to drift to the figure in my arms. Slowly, she took steps forward, till she was stood right in front of me.

Lorenzo turned towards her, probably sensing her presence. A chubby cheeked smile spread across his face, ignoring the blood covering her body, he reached out to her, turning away from me.

Gently, she took him from arms, holding him tightly to her chest as if he were to disappear. I watched as her body shook as she cried silently, relief washing over her features. 

Looking up at me, she took a step closer and allowed me to wrap my arms around her. She laid her head on my chest, still staring down at the toddler in her arms.

"Thank you." She whispered, reaching up and kissing my cheek.

Maybe things will start to look up now that Spencer Gatwick is dead.