Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I was a sitting at a table on a Sunday morning while Josh tried to sell vinyls. He also had old books that were collector items if you knew anything about it.

I didn't really understand why he kept coming to the flea market. It wasn't like he needed to sell any of these things. And he wasn't really making any money out of this. He never sold enough vinyls to make it worth it. It wasn't a full day's job pay.

I think it was partly out of habit and partly out of doing something specific on a Sunday.

But it wasn't exactly the most riveting way to spent a weekend. I'd grabbed Josh's copy of Paradise Lost from his apartment before coming here, and was trying to read that now.

Josh wasn't having it.

Standing beside me, he kicked my foot. "Are you just going to sit here, or are you going to be useful for a second?"

I closed the book, rolling my eyes, and looked up at him. "What do you even want me to do?" I asked gesturing around us at the lack of clients standing in front of his table. "There's no one interested in your vinyls. They're a dying form of consuming music."

"Mark my word, vinyl records are going to make a comeback," Josh said, shaking a finger at me.

I snorted. "Suuuure, suuuure. So, if they're going to make a comeback than why are you selling yours?"

"I need to reacquaint people with records if I want them to make a comeback," my best friend replied like this was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Just admit the only reason why you come here anymore is to see if Daphnee is going to be there," I said with a smug grin.

Josh glared at me. "I'll have you know that I came here long before the Beatle lover came into the picture, and I'll keep coming here long after she's gone."

"So you really haven't started a vision board with your future children's names on it?"

"Go in the corner and think about what you just said," Josh said, pushing me around, making me laugh.

We sort of wrestle like that for a second, laughing all the while.

Finally, when Josh had enough, and let me go, I returned to my seat and asked, "What are your plans this week?"

Josh suddenly yawned, proof that I had probably woke him up too early and said, "I'm going out of town with Todd, we're meeting investors for our app."

"Already planning work trips when you're going through a rough patch? Cheating is not the answer Josh Gilligan Torres."

Josh rolled his eyes, unimpressed. "I really want to complain, but at the same time, I kinda raised you, so this is all my fault."

I nodded. "Good, take responsibility for my idiocy."

"I should have raised you better."

"Indeed," I agreed, nodding again and then looked at my best friend more seriously. I wanted to be here for him more. So that meant asking the dreadful question, "How is it going with your father?"

His relationship with his father was always a touchy subject.

It was something he had in common with Daphnee. I didn't know all the details of her life, but I knew both of them definitely had daddy issues.

Josh snorted. "It's going great. We haven't talk in ages, so it's really been swell."

"Have you talked with your mom?" I asked softly.