14

Emily's POV

I sat with everyone around the unlit fire pit, Eddie to my left. When Max pulls me away from Eddie to where he can't hear or see us. "What are you doing?" She asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Eddie won't stop staring at you, following you around."

"Is he?" I smile knowing other people notice it too.

"Don't smile that's not good." The smile leaves my face.

"Why not?"

"He's a man whore." She explains and I do everything in my power not to laugh, I've never heard that term before.

"You're not the first to tell me," I say.

"I know we just met but I just want you to know that it's a terrible idea."

"Thanks for looking out for me but I'll be okay."

-

I'm sitting here at my birthday party thinking about what Max said and the fact that Dustin said the same thing about him. I just don't see what they see in him. Of course, I don't though I only met him a week ago. I can't help he's consumed my brain.

"Time to open presents," Mom says excitedly and yells for Richard. "You got to open ours last!"

Dustin got me books, I thank him even though I've never shown an interest in reading. Maybe I'll start.

Max gave me a paint set, "Dustin said you like to paint." She smiled. I did, when I was younger.

"Thank you, I love it."

Aunt Susan sent me a card with some cash in it, I read it to myself and smiled.

Next is Eddie's gift, the one I'm most excited about. I look over at him and he's already staring at me. I smile at him and he smiles back. "Who's this from?" Mom asks.

"That would be me, Mrs. Henderson." She doesn't even look his way or respond. Ouch.

I rip through the wrapping paper and there's a blank cardboard box. I open the flaps and it's the record I was looking at Red Light Records. "I don't have a record player," I say loud, confused.

"Keep digging," Eddie says. Under the record, there's more paper and under the paper is a record player.

"Oh my god, I've always wanted one!" I say with a high-pitched, excited voice.

"It's nothing fancy but it'll work. I had an extra one I thrifted forever ago."

"I love it, thank you so much." I smile looking down at the record player in my lap.

Before I can say anything else mom speaks up, "Time to open our gift." I set Eddie's gift to the side, she hands me a small pink bag.

It's a smaller bag, something heavier weighing it down.  I pull it out and it's a small white box. I flip it over and it's a phone. I instantly jump up and hug mom, then Richard. "Thank you guys so much."

"It was your mom's idea," Richard admits, "When y'all went to the mall she somehow snuck away and got it." Now it makes sense why she wanted to go separate ways and didn't buy anything.

"Thank you, mom." I hug her again.

"You deserve it, baby, it's charged up and ready to go." I take it out of the package, it's an iPhone.

"This is so pretty," I say and Mom laughs at me.

"That's everything. You kids are more than welcome to stay longer us adults are gonna head inside for now." Mom says and follows Richard inside.

-

Most people have left at this point. Dustin, Eddie, Max, and I are sitting on the floor around the fire pit. For some reason, Steve hasn't left. Once it was dark enough Eddie started the fire. Why am I not surprised he knew how to do that?

Dustin and Max are to my right talking about some game I don't understand. Eddie is to my left close enough that our legs touch.

"Thank you for coming," I tell him.

"No problem. I had fun."

"I do appreciate the gift." I let him know the hundredth time.

"I'm glad you like it. I feel bad it's not new." He rubs the back of his neck.

"It's the best gift I've ever been gifted." I smile, reassuring him.

"You just got a new phone."

"I've always wanted a record player though. I told you that and you remembered." He grins.

"That I did."

"I think I'm gonna take off," Steve speaks up. I then realize he must have felt left out and feel kinda bad.

"Thanks for coming!" I wave as he walks off.

"I should probably go too," Max adds, "Can you take me home Eddie?"

"Yeah, no problem."  She walks off and Dustin follows her.

"Well, I guess it's time for me to go," Eddie says getting up and putting out what was left of the fire, I frown.

He reaches a hand out to help me get up, I reach for it and he pulls me up. I stumble on my foot using Eddie to catch my balance. Once I've successfully recovered I notice I'm only a few inches from him. Scared to look up cause I can feel his eyes looking down on me.

"Sorry." I barely whisper.

"You're fine." I finally muster up the courage to look up. His eyes quickly meet mine. There's a tension between us I've never felt before. Scared about what's about to happen I pull him into a hug, he seems taken aback. It takes him a few moments to hug back but once he does he doesn't let go.

"Thank you," I whisper my face buried in his chest. Light from inside turns on and I can see mom moving around the kitchen. Even more scared of what mom would say I pull away and start heading for the door.

"Wait," he speaks, "Let me see your phone."

"Okay." I hand it to him. He starts clicking around on it.

"I sent myself a text from your phone."

"Why?" I asked confused.

"So I can have your number, duh." He laughs at how clueless I am.

-

Shortly after he leaves I look at my contact for Eddie and he put his name and a bunch of kissy face heart emojis. It puts a huge grin on my face.