14

We'd already been in the Land of Waves for a week now. Kakashi trained us to use chakra control during his recovery and we'd all guarded the bridge with him nearby for Tazuna. We we were only staying an extra few days just to make sure the bridge was finished without any problems and then we were heading back to the Leaf. It was kinda sad, thinking about it, we'd all gotten so friendly with the family, especially Naruto and Inari. Tsunami and I had gotten to know eachother quite a lot too, hopefully Kakashi will consider visiting with just me next time, maybe Naruto too so he can see Inari again.

     "Hey! Watch what you're doing with that wood!" Tazuna yelled as everybody slaved away at the last hurdle. The mist was thick today, making it hard for the workers, so I was helping carry the wood from the entrance of the bridge to the end. There was no way in Hell Gatō could get in the way. The Land of Waves is a poor country that deserves so much better. Thugs like Gatō should rot. My grip on the wood tightened with anger as I stomped across the bridge. I saw Sasuke handle the last few planks and catch up behind me.

     "Why so hostile?" He teased, racing ahead of me.

    "Oh no, I don't think so Uchiha." I hissed, running past him using my chakra control to make my steps bounce a little more than usual. He smirked and sped up, his pace drawing nearer and nearer to mine.

Needless to say within five seconds we were flat out sprinting towards the end of the bridge.

     "Give up," I gasped, "you'll never win!"

     "Hn!" Sasuke grunted.

Tazuna's eyes widened as he saw a blur of silver and black run past him, both drop the brown planks into the pile and turn.

      "I WIN!"

Kakashi sweatdropped, looking at Tazuna sheepishly.

     "I thought it was you and the short one who were competative." Tazuna said to Sasuke, loud enough for Naruto to hear.

I sat down, crossing my legs and leaning against the pile of planks behind me. Even though it seemed like a normal day, something was off. It was almost as though something bad was going to happen. Cliche I know, but it felt like it. The way the mist was thickening as each hour passed, making the air around us thick and difficult to breath in, especially the workers. I felt eyes boaring into the side of my head, Sasuke, of course.

     "Do you feel that?" I asked, glancing sideways at him.

He looked down and started to fidget.

     "The mist is thickening as the hours pass," I continued, "I have a feeling something is wrong."

My brow furrowed, what if something was wrong back at the house? Nobody was protecting Tsunami and Ikari after all, we were all too focused on the mission. I pushed my weight up onto my feet from my hands and ran towards Kakashi.

     "Otou-san!"

Kakashi turned to me and held up his hand.

Stop? Why stop?

I nodded and took my fighting stance, glancing behind me at Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura. I held my finger to my lips, silencing them from questioning my actions and signalled they do the same. The bridge had become eerily quiet, as if it had been abandoned for years. A chilling breeze drifted past me, sending shivers down my spine and the hairs on the back of my neck to stand on alert.

     "We meet again, Kakashi Hatake." A chilling voice breathed through the thickening fog.

Zabuza.