Chapter Seventeen

꧁𓊈༒𓊉꧂

I awoke a good bit into the afternoon. The bourbon and stress of yesterday took a toll on me. I quickly got up and dressed in standard clothes which were a t-shirt with jeans and my tan boots.

I exited my room and walked down the halls to the main rec room of Alejandro's base. I spotted Rudy standing near a counter while looking down at some files, spatula in hand as the smell of spices filled the air.

"Afternoon," I greeted him and went to the fridge, I bent down into the machine and pulled out two bottles of water, "Anything happen while I was asleep?"

"Laswell told Price he couldn't keep Woods cuffed," Rudy sighed and glanced over at me, "He didn't run away after Price released him and he's been with Ghost and Price all morning."

"Where at?" I cracked open my bottle and sipped the cool liquid after asking.

"Meeting room in the main building,"  Rudy tilted his head, "Are you okay?"

"With Erin being around? No, not really. The fact that I know Ghost is watching him like a hawk, yeah im okay with that," I sighed and leaned against the counter next to the fridge, "Ever since I got dads hint to run and meet with Price it's been one thing after another. Dad working the get Shepherd out of hiding, Finding out Graves is still alive, and Erin being here."

"Life is the most unpredictable thing," Rudy looked down at the skillet he was cooking with, "life is hell oftentimes. We here know all the bad things that come with it to but how we deal with it is by giving back with our skills and protecting the world as best we can so that our families don't have to worry about tomorrow and the day after."

"What im trying to say is, it may be hard now, but it could be a lot worse." He smiled softly, "Why not solve the problems you can handle by helping Price, see what he needs done?

"Your right," I sipped more of my drink and pushed off the counter, "I'm going to see Price and see what I can do but first... Thank you for last night."

"Oh," Rudy flushed brightly while rubbing the back of his neck, "You mean getting into Contact with Nik? I just did what Alejandro asked."

"If it wasn't for both of you I wouldn't have gotten word from König," I gave him a small pat on the shoulder, "Thank you. If you ever need anything let me know and ill do what I can."

"Right," Rudolfo jerked his head in a nod, "I will keep that in mind."

I smiled before turning on my heel and heading for the main door.

"I heard from Alejandro that they are keeping Woods on a tight leash," Rudolfo called out to me as I opened the steel and glass door and into the fall humid air of Mexico, "Keep your wits!"

"Yes sir!" I shouted back and let the door close behind me.

I headed across the sidewalks and towards the large main building we all had gathered in last night. The heat wasn't as devastating but was still present with cool winds blowing from the north to offer a bit of relief. I walked past two guards standing in front of the main building, giving them a nod as I opened the doors and entered the main building. I spotted Soap standing at a vending machine getting a snack from the bottom shoot just off the main corridor.