On My Way

(Alice’s POV)

He leaned in to kiss me, but I’m too worried about Anna to think about kissing him right now. I had to stop myself, and focus, so I pushed him away.

“Is something wrong?” He asked.

I looked away, and buried my face in my hands.

“It’s not you. It’s me. I can’t do this right now,” I said while shaking my head.

“I promise we will find her and save her,” He said, as he put a hand on my shoulder.

“But what if we can’t? What if we aren’t strong enough?” I asked.

“Don’t think like that,” he said.

“I can’t help it, Tate. I’m so worried something will happen to one of you, and I won’t be able to save all of you,” I said with a sigh.

A tear ran down my cheek as I looked up at him. I have such strong feelings for him. It doesn’t make any sense. I didn’t know him long enough for me to form any kind of friendship let alone a relationship.

“I won’t let anything happen. Not to you, my grandmother, or Anna,” He said, as he began to rub his hand up and down my arm.

“Don’t make a promise you can’t keep, Tate,” I said. “You don’t know what could happen tonight.”

He stopped rubbing my arm.

“That’s a chance I’m willing to take,” He said as he stood up.

I looked up at him and shook my head.

“Just let me do this on my own,” I said.

“No, I will help you no matter what you say. I will be there for you. You can’t stop me from helping you,” He said, before walking away.

He is heading for the door.

“I don’t want you to see that part of me,” I pleaded.

“Why? Why don’t you want me to see that part of you? What’s so terrible about it? What’s the worst that could happen?” He continued to ask questions.

“You really want to know?” I asked him while standing up.

He nodded his head as he walked towards me. I took a deep breath while closing my eyes, before looking up at him. This was the last thing I wanted to relive, but it had to be done. He needs to understand.

“The first time Anna and I were attacked was the night I realized I was a banshee. At least that’s what I thought I was…” I began to explain, “Anyway, these vampires tried to take Anna, and I lost control. I turned into my banshee form for the first time, and I just started to attack them.”

“Alice…” He says before I cut him off.

“No, I’m not finished. After I eliminated one vampire by ripping out his throat, I let out a scream that was extremely powerful. I almost killed the other vampire and Anna. I let him go, and he came back for me. Only this time I killed him, but they also took Anna,” I said, as tears began to trickle down my cold cheeks.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t know, but I’m not afraid,” He said as he wiped away my tears, “My grandma made those potions for us. You have nothing to worry about.”

“I don’t want to take that chance. I actually care about you,” I said as I shook my head. “I don’t want you or your grandma to be hurt or killed.”

He was quiet for a moment. I could tell he was thinking about something. Trying to find a way to convince me.

“We can take care of ourselves. There’s something I didn’t tell you, the rest of my family’s story,” he began to say. “As my grandma said, she used to be the Slayer, and she has killed creatures before. She also comes from a long line of pure witches, a supreme who rules over all witch covens.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” I asked him. “She may be a witch, but you are still human.”

“That’s just it! Her genes were passed down to my mother. My mother passed them on to her only son,” he explained. “The first born in each branch of the family tree inherits the witch bloodline.”

“What are you saying?” I asked him.

“I’m not human. I’m a warlock,” He said.

My mouth dropped. I didn’t understand. He had never used his abilities in front of me that I’m aware of. It didn’t make any sense. My mind wasn’t processing what I had just heard.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked him.

“I wasn’t sure if you were ready. Besides it seemed like you had enough to deal with,” he said, as he shrugged it off.

“Are you sure you can do this?” I asked him after taking a moment to think it through.

He nodded his head and smiled.

“I’m about to check on my grandma. You stay in here. I’ll be right back,” He said as he turned away from me.

With his back turned towards me, I rushed up behind him and hugged him.

“Thank you, Tate,” I said.

“The honor is mine, Alice,” He said before I let him go.

He had his hand on the doorknob, about to leave the room, but turned around. His face and body language showed hesitation. I waited for him to say something.

“You got a frog stuck in your throat?” I asked teasingly.

He chuckled nervously, and I flashed him a smile.

“I just wanted to say one more thing,” he said while looking back at the door.

I crossed my arms, while waiting to hear what he had to say to me.

“Warlocks have mates, just like all other beings and creatures,” He said while turning the doorknob.

“Oh yeah? Who’s your mate?” I asked curiously.

“You are,” he said before finally opening the door.

I slumped down on the bed, as he closed the door behind him. My mind was racing with thoughts. This was a lot to process. I’m his what? Does this mean he is also my mate, too?

I have a lot of learning to do. There was so much about this world that I couldn’t even begin to understand. I needed my best friend. She is the only one who can help me get through anything life throws at me.

I let out a sigh, before staring out of Tate’s bedroom window above his headboard. The sky is filled with sparkling stars, and a full moon sits in the center. I wonder if Anna can see the same beautiful view as I do. Wherever she was, I hoped she was thinking of me too. That she didn’t give up on me.

I closed my eyes, and thought to myself. I’m coming for you Anna. Nothing and no one will stop me. I can promise you that.