Gone

(Alice's POV)

I giggled after hearing him say that. It was bittersweet knowing Maroona couldn’t have this one. He chose me. Of all the people at Hawthorne High, he still chose me. Anna snapped her fingers and waved her hand in front of my face.

“Hello? Earth to Alice,” Anna said while raising an eyebrow.

I had been so caught up in everything that had just happened that I almost forgot we were about to leave school. Skipping classes became normal for us. We grabbed our bags, and waited for the halls to clear, before taking the private exit near the gymnasium.

On our way out the back door, I stopped and pointed to the woods. I wasn’t ready to be home. She knew exactly what I wanted to do. We had always adventured through the backwoods but hadn't done it since that dreadful night. At first, I didn’t think she would want to, but then she grabbed my hand, and off we ran into the woods. After reaching our usual trail, our pace slowed down.

“So, do you like him?” she asked after catching her breath.

I nodded my head, feeling the heat on my face as I blushed. Anna squealed with excitement. She seemed genuinely happy for me. The girl who wished for love is happy for me.

“That’s so cute,” she said while giggling.

I nudged her as she made a kissy face at me, and she nudged me back. Honestly, it was a pleasant conversation, and I couldn’t wait to tell her about it. Her contagious laugh suddenly stopped when we heard a twig snap, followed by heavy footsteps. When they abruptly stopped, we quickly turned around but saw no one.

“I know someone is here,” I told Anna telepathically. "I can feel them."

I grabbed her arm as a bush near us made a ruffled sound. The veins in my neck strained beneath my skin while I squeezed Anna’s hand. My appearance changed in a matter of seconds as I was prepared for whatever would come our way this time. Anna didn’t say a word until after I was fully transformed.

“Come out now! Show yourself, or else!” Anna demanded.

The ruffling suddenly stopped. We shared a worried glance but remained focused on our surroundings. Anna slowly walked up to the bush, but I grabbed her arm. She pulled away and motioned for me to stay where I was. So, I did as I was told and patiently waited for what came next. She picked up a large branch that had fallen from a tree and whacked at the bush several times.

“Ow, that hurt,” Tate said.

While crawling out from behind the bush, he rubs his side with one hand and his head with the other hand. She must have hit him hard because his clothes were also torn, with fresh blood staining his white shirt.

“What do you think you’re doing?” she asked him.

After helping Tate stand up, I gave him a stern look. For a moment I forget that I am in my banshee form. He is startled by my appearance, but not afraid. Most people would have run in fear instead of facing the unknown, but not him. His face showed more curiosity than anything.

“I saw someone following you into the woods," Tate said as his eyes darted around the tangled trees of the woods. "I had to follow you to make sure the two of you made it home safe.”

His eyes are now fixed on me. I could tell by the way he looked at me that he was telling the truth. Suddenly I felt it. The small, barely noticeable hairs on my body stood up straight. There is someone else here. I could feel their eyes on me, watching my every move.

“Alice, maybe we should get out of here,” Anna said as she grabbed my arm.

Before the three of us could escape, a man jumped down from a tree, landing on his feet in front of us. Tate took a fighting stance after pushing both of us behind him. I tried stepping in front of Anna and Tate because I knew neither of them would have the strength to fight off this man, or whatever he may be.