Appetite

(Alex’s POV)

I felt her leave the bed. So, I opened one of my eyes to see what she was doing. She was heading for the bathroom. I was curious as to what she was up to. She stopped to look back at me, before closing her bedroom door behind her.

I sat up in the bed, and waited a few minutes before leaving her room. After following the sound of her slowly beating heart, I ended up at a door just down the hall. I carefully opened the door, only to find her lying in bed with her mother. The sight made me smile. I never had that kind of relationship with my mother, because she died when I was a baby.

I kissed her forehead before leaving the room and closing the door behind me. After making my way back to her room, I lay down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Trying to sleep was not an option. All I could do was sit there and think about how I let her down. I could feel her emotions. Our connection was stronger than I had ever experienced with anyone else.

I rolled onto my side, staring out the window. The sky looked almost like a painting, with colors like burgundy, red, and orange. It didn’t take long for the sun to come out. I could see it shining through the white curtains. 

Sitting up in bed, I began to think. I figured she would be asleep for a while longer. So, I decided that I would make her and her mother some breakfast. After putting on a pair of sweat pants and a T-shirt, I silently made my way into the kitchen. 

I opened the fridge, and took out all the ingredients I would need to make them a special breakfast. In a couple of hours, I was able to whip up a dozen pancakes, sunny side up eggs, maple sausage links, and cinnamon rolls. I cut open my hand and poured some of my blood into a coffee cup for Anna. Then I made coffee for her mother. 

When I was satisfied with everything, I set the table for us three. I closed my eyes and embraced all of the different smells. Before I forgot, I quickly ran my hands under warm water to clean the blood off my healed hand. Just when I turned around to dry my hands on a towel hanging over the handle of the oven, I was startled by her mother. She was standing directly behind me.

“Who are you?” she asked with her hands placed on her hips.  

I was about to answer when Anna approached us. She flashed me an apologetic smile, before wrapping her arm around me.

“He is my boyfriend, Alex.” Anna said as she looked up at me.

She squeezed me slightly, and I hissed from the pain I endured last night, while my own brother whipped me. She looked at me with apologetic eyes. I smiled while looking down at her. 

“What’s wrong with you?” Her mother asked. 

“I’ll be fine. My body is just a bit sore from all the work I did last night,” I said while shrugging.

“Oh, I see,” she said as she turned to walk away. “So, he’s the reason you left home the past few days?”

“Why are you acting that way mom?” Anna asked as she grabbed her mother’s arm.  

Her mother turned around quickly and glared at Anna and I. I could tell this wasn’t going to end well.

“Don’t you dare grab me like that, Anna Revel!” She yelled as she pulled away.

As soon as she freed her arm from Anna’s grip, she smacked her across the face. Anna touched her reddened face as she looked down at the ground. I could see Anna’s veins begin to pulsate. This was going to end badly. I tried to take control of the situation by handing Anna a coffee cup full of my blood. Being that she is a newborn vampire, her thirst can make her do unspeakable things. If she doesn’t drink blood often, she will spiral out of control.