Thirsty

(Alex’s POV)

I could tell she was nervous. Her body tensed up, and she gripped my hand tighter. Just as I was about to take my seat next to Kane, he put his hand on my chest and shook his head.

“Don’t be rude, Alex. Why don’t you let our new guest sit beside me?” He asked as he looked Anna up and down.

I didn’t like that one bit, but there was nothing I could do about it. Not only was he my older brother, but he also claimed his place as king after our father died. He called the shots. I tried forcing Anna to sit next to him, but she was resisting. After using my full vampire strength, I was able to make her sit.

She glared at me as I sat down next to her. I gave her an apologetic look, but she looked away from me. My attention was captured by Kane when he stood up. He’s holding his wine glass full of warm blood. I could tell by the color and smell of it that it was fresh.

Anna gripped the armrests of the chair she sat in. Kane best not say anything to piss Anna off. That’s the last thing we need. Her vampire side is triggered by anger and love. I could already tell how she felt about Kane.

“Let’s all raise our glasses to honor our newest member of the clan, Anna,” he began to say. “Not only is she one of us now, but she is also the key to finally retrieving Alice.”

Oh no, here we go. He was purposely trying to upset her. I look at Anna, who is watching Kane. Her hands are shaking with fury.

“Another thing, here’s to Alice and her blood,” he stopped talking to take a sip of blood. “Soon, we will become stronger, and we’ll all be able to come out of hiding. We will rise up against the humans who have banished us to live in the shadows.”

The clan cheered him on. Clapping and whistling sounds filled the dining room.

“It is us who will run the world. We will become the most powerful beings alive. So let’s drink and feast on this glorious night,” Kane said as he raised his glass to his mouth.

He drank the entire cup, before slamming the cup on the table. That’s when I saw Anna reach for her glass, or so I thought. Her hand quickly reached for the knife, but I grabbed her hand before Kane could see. She looked at me with eyes that were as black as the night sky.

I watched in fear as she began to change. Everyone in the room gasped, and Kane’s eyes grew wide. She looked around the room at everyone, before making eye contact with Kane. He smiled down at her.

“Looks like we got a changeling on our hands,” Kane said while looking at me. “If you are so special, I can only imagine how powerful Alice is.”

Anna’s breathing became really heavy. I could tell she was beyond mad. She stood up and threw the wine glass full of blood against the wall, while letting out a loud scream that echoed throughout the room.

I stood up behind her and put my hand on her shoulder. She quickly grabbed my hand, and with a single twist she broke it. I pulled my hand away from her and rubbed my slowly healing wrist.

“God damn it, Anna! This isn’t you. You’re not like this,” I said.

“You have yourself to blame,” she says while looking over her shoulder at me.

“I see that her change is triggered by her anger,” Kane says with a smirk. “I can only imagine how Alice acts.”

“Don’t you dare talk about Alice!” Anna said.

“I like this one. She’s feisty,” Kane said as he raised an eyebrow. “I think I might just keep you both.”

I clinched my fist. He knows she is my mate. I’ll be damned if he takes her away from me, too.

“You can try, but my friend will kill you and your whole clan,” Anna said testing him.

I watched as Kane forced his hand around her throat, then pinned her against the wall. She began to laugh. Even with her hair covering her face, I could tell she was smiling at Kane. All that did was piss him off even more. He glared into her eyes and she spit in his face. His grip tightened around her throat. She let out a whimper as she grabbed his hand. Her claws dug into his hand, drawing blood.

“Kane!” I yelled.

He glared back at me with dark red eyes.

“She is a newborn vampire, she can’t control herself.” I said as I grabbed his arm.

He ignored me and pulled his arm away from me, before looking back at her. Tightening his grip even more around her throat. She hissed at him, as her eyes flashed red.

“I bet you’re thirsty,” Kane said with a smirk.

He released his grip around her throat but grabbed a handful of her hair. She made a groaning sound as he forced her back into her seat. When she tried to stand, he put a knife to her throat. I grabbed his arm and pleaded with him to put it down.

“She is my mate. Don’t hurt her,” I said.

For once, I stood up for myself against my older brother. All he did was give me an angry stare. I don’t know who pissed him off more, but he was beyond furious. He had also been drinking his absinthe. There’s no telling what he would do.