Suffer

(Alex's POV)

I let out a groan when my phone rang. When I saw that it was Kane, I knew something was wrong. After walking into the bathroom and closing the door behind me, I answered my phone. He rambled on for a while, before saying that he wanted to see me.

"Alright, I'll be right there," I said with a sigh.

After hanging up, I turned around and opened the door. She is waiting on the other side. Had she been listening?

"Anna, I-," I managed to say before she cut me off.

"Please don't leave me alone," Anna said with a pouty face.

I could sense she didn't want me there, but she didn't want me to leave her alone either.

"I'll be back in no time. While I'm away, no one will bother you," I assured her.

She looked up at me with sadness in her eyes. I kissed her forehead gently. I could understand why she would be afraid to be in the room alone, which only made me want to stay even more. Though I know how impatient Kane can become when he doesn't get what he wants. He can be ruthless at times.

"I will be right back," I said before opening the door.

She watches me close the door before I lock it behind me.

I could only imagine what Kane wanted. All I know is that he is not taking Anna from me. I refuse to let him control my life any longer. I will do whatever it takes. Once I finally made my way to his room, I knocked on Kane's door. The noises from the other side calmed down, before his deep voice shattered the silence.

"Come in!" He said loudly.

I opened the door to find that he was sitting in his reclining chair, between two of his slaves, who were standing by his side. They smiled at me, because I was always respectful and kind to all of the slaves. I just never had the anger or ruthlessness of a vampire. My brother on the other hand was the complete opposite.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked my brother while closing the door behind me.

He lit a cigar and blew out smoke before speaking to me.

"Yes, it's about the girl. I need you to start phase two. I'm becoming impatient, and you don't want to see what I will do when that happens," he said before taking a puff. "The demand for her blood is rising as we speak."

I watched as smoke slowly rolled out of his mouth. It floated to the ceiling before disappearing.

"Phase two?" I asked confused.

I didn't know what he meant. This was the first time I'd heard about any of this. He always made decisions without consulting me first. If my father were still alive, he'd never tolerate this. I was just another pawn in Kane's eyes, someone whose life he believed he could control. Though if I'd been crowned king, I would've never treated my clan this way.

"I want to meet Alice, before we begin the extraction," He said as he stood up.

I could feel sweat beads forming on my forehead. He doesn't like failure or losing what he is after. I was unsure of how he would react to me taking the wrong girl.

"Kane... There has been a complication with the plan," I said nervously.

I could feel my body tense under his gaze. He narrowed his eyes at me. I didn't know how to explain this to him, without having a horrible outcome. After thinking carefully about what I was about to say next, I took a deep breath.

"There was such a strong resemblance between the two girls," I began to explain. "We had accidentally taken the wrong girl."

He grabs the closest thing to him, the glass ashtray, and throws it at me. I dodge it at the last second, and it smashes against the wall behind me.