An Angry Bull

(Alice’s POV)

I can’t believe what she was saying. How could she fall in love with one of those creatures? Especially after they had kidnapped and tortured her. My thoughts are interrupted when she changes right in front of me. My eyes grew wide.

Not only because I was shocked to see her in this other form, but because she looked the exact same way I saw her in my dream earlier. That’s when I noticed a painting of a woman on the wall behind Anna. She looked identical to Anna in this form.

I gasped while pointing it out to her. She slowly turned around, not saying anything else. I can’t see her face, but I know it affected her in some way. My heart aches for her. I failed to keep her safe.

“I’m too late. I couldn’t save you,” I said while pulling her into a hug. “I’m so sorry, Anna.”

“You’re not late, Alice. I think I was meant to be this way. It’s not too bad, except the feeding part,” Anna said while returning the hug.

I pulled away from her and shook my head. She didn’t understand the severity of the situation. How easily they took her is just one example. That’s nothing compared to the other things they are capable of.

“Yes, it is! This is not okay. You’re going to be like this forever,” I said as a tear dripped from my eye onto my cheek. “You will never age, never die, unless you are killed. I will age, and die, and you will forget me.”

“Become like me, Alice. We can live together and stay like this forever, or even have babies that will grow up and fall in love,” she said with a smile.

“Have you lost your mind? I don’t even want to be a banshee. I would rather be normal,” I said while shaking my head. “To be able to fall in love and grow old with him. I want to be with Tate. Even though I probably lost any chance of that happening because I chose you.”

“You still have that option, Alice. As soon as we get the hell out of here,” Anna said as she walked towards the door.

I grabbed her arm, stopping her from moving forward. She looked back at me with a confused look on her face.

“You want me to be like you? I don’t even know what you are or who you are anymore.” I said.

I could tell she was mad. She scrunched her face up. Whatever she was about to say wouldn’t be pleasant.

“I’m this way because they wanted you, Alice, not me,” she argued.

“I’m trying to fix that,” I responded.

“You can’t fix me! I became a newborn vampire, a changeling to be exact,” Anna said while crossing her arms. “I feel so free now. I’m stronger than I’ve ever been. Why are you so against this?”

“This wasn’t supposed to happen. We were supposed to be normal together,” I said as I shook my head. “I found a way to cure myself, but you ruined our chances of being normal together.”

“Well, I don’t have that option,” She said with a sigh, “I never turned my back on you after everything that has happened. Are you really about to turn yours on me now?”

She pulled her arm away from me.

“No, you’re right. I’m sorry, Anna,” I said while closing my eyes. “There’s just so much you don’t know or understand, and right now isn’t exactly the greatest time to have this discussion.”

“I’ve been here for a couple of days, I’m sure I can manage a few more moments,” Anna said cockily, “I’m all ears, please do explain. Since everyone seems to think I’m the same dumb human I once was.”