Out of the Shadows

(Sophia’s POV)

After Tate fell to the floor, I told the last of our guards to get Alice’s mom into the car. I followed them as they did what they were told, and opened the trunk for them. While they were stuffing her in the trunk, I took the knife Alice had on her and slit all of Tate’s tires. That way he couldn’t follow us. Just as I closed the trunk, I made eye contact with a conscious Tate. I winked at him, before climbing into the car, watching him as we drove off. That was really close.

I sat back in my seat, listening to the sound of her mother pounding on the trunk. She was unconscious when we put her in the trunk, but now she was definitely awake. Other than the sounds she made, it was a quiet ride.

It took us 4 hours to travel to our hideout. We needed a place that was far enough away from that town. Otherwise, they’d be hot on our trail. After teleporting out of the mansion that night, we walked through the woods for a few hours, until we found a place that appeared suitable. Despite the fact that it was an old abandoned cabin in the woods, there was a cellar that could hold Alice.

We are surrounded by nothing but trees. No neighbors or nosey people. It was the only option we had. Especially since Alex was a traitor, he knew too much, and would surely spill the beans. Kane and I wouldn’t be surprised if he hadn't already told them all of our secrets, places we would stay, and so much more.

After we pulled up to the front of our temporary home, the man driving the car opened my door for me. I stretched after climbing out of the back seat of the car, then opened the trunk. The poor woman had tired herself out. While she was passed out, I took the opportunity to pull a potion out of my back pocket. After popping the cork off, I poured the contents into her mouth.

“Alright fellas, I need you to take her into one of the spare rooms, until we’re ready for her,” I said.

They nodded and carried her up to the porch. I opened the door for them, and they took her to a room upstairs. When I couldn’t find Kane, I decided to go down to the cellar. He was still down there watching her. Waiting for her to wake up.

“Has sleeping beauty awakened from her slumber yet?” I asked as I put my arm on his shoulder.

He jumped and turned around.

“No, not yet, but thanks for the scare,” he said as he wrapped his arms around me. “You’ve become a lot more stealthy.”

“Awe I’m sorry. You shouldn’t be so jumpy,” I teased him.

“Well, when you have people who are hunting you down, so they can kill you, then you’ll see why I’m so jumpy,” he said as he removed his arm from around me.

“Have you forgotten what they’ve done to me?” I asked as I touched my neck. “I was nearly decapitated by that damn collar of yours.”

“I saved you didn’t I?” Kane asked while crossing his arms. “No one can save me.”

“No one can even find us. I made sure of that,” I said as I grabbed his arm. “You have nothing to worry about.”

“Good,” He said before pulling me into a kiss.

I backed him up against the wall, and it made a loud thud. He bit my lip roughly, and I could taste my blood.

“Not so rough, Kane. I haven’t had a single drop of blood since dinner last night,” I said as I touched my bloody lip.

“Very well, I’ll see to it that we go out to eat tonight,” He said before kissing my neck. “I heard there’s a small town on the other side of the woods.”

“Whoever we don’t completely drain, should we turn them into a vampire?” I asked him.

He looked into my eyes with a grin on his face.

“I like how you think,” Kane said before kissing my neck again.

“Isn’t that why you chose me?” I asked with a smirk.

Then he stopped, and put his finger up to my lip.

That’s when I heard Alice stirring in her sleep as she lay on the floor of her cell. After turning around, I could see that Alice had finally awakened. She had opened her eyes and was looking around. The expression on her face showed fear and confusion. Kane and I watched her from the shadows.

How did I get here? This has to be a dream.

I could hear her thoughts, and I whispered them to Kane.

“Oh, Alice, this is very real,” Kane said while staying hidden.

“Who said that?” Who are you?” Alice asked out loud. “What do you want from me? Why am I here?”

She seemed shocked by her own voice. Had she forgotten about the events of last night? There was only one way to find out. I wanted to see her reaction to seeing me. So, I stepped out of the shadows, with Kane following in tow. She stood up slowly, and stared at us for a second.

Once she realized what had happened, she became frantic. She banged on the metal bars, trying to shake them loose, while screaming as loudly as she could. When she realized her attempts were useless, she sank to her knees in defeat. She wasn’t so powerful without the banshee curse. Would that be the case when she discovered her true identity?