CHAPTER 17

AUDELIA'S POV

"You have got to be kidding me right now." I mutter, annoyance evident in my tone. I can still not process the fact that we blindly walked in a trap. We believed every piece of 'information' Igor spewed and that was our biggest mistake.

"Let's get out of here. I don't want to stay here to find out what they have in store for us." I grumble under my breath, as I turn on my heels.

"Everybody out of the building!" Lorenzo orders as he turns around. Only one step later a loud boom is heard, causing the building to shake from the impact. "We got company." Valeria informs us as we dash to the window.

"Rather big company." Lucas confirms. At the same time, headlights are seen coming towards the building. "And it looks like they want to blow this place up." Another loud boom is heard as the area in front of the building gets blown up and I feel the impact under my feet. All ruins of the previous structures reduce to ash as tress catch fire as well as the old wooden debris.

"Sbarazzati di quanti puoi." Xaen orders. "Su di essa." Giovanni replies instantly.

"Fucking talk in English!" Valeria voices out my thoughts.

"Just take out anyone you see." Lucas informs us as another loud explosion is heard, this time from the side of the building.

The silence that was prevailing only seconds ago gets replaced by tyres screeching, explosions, crashing of windows and gunshots. With my gun held tightly, I cross the room, Lorenzo following my steps.

"I think they are planning to surround the building with fire." Giovanni explains as we exits the room. "The fire is spreading quickly."

"Let's go." Lorenzo grabs my arm, pulling me with him. I cannot decipher whether my heart is beating erratically because of his touch or the pandemonium surrounding us. Forcing the thoughts to the back of my mind, I follow him as we descend the stairs to the floor below us. Our men are also all over the place heading for the stairs.

The hallways and rooms on the floor feel like a maze as we manoeuvre our way through it, searching for the next stairs. We halt in our steps as the building shakes violently once again, taking support from the shaking wall beside me while feeling like the ground is literally going to open up under me.

The incomprehensible words of men play in the earpiece as a strong smoky smell fills the floor. "Don't tell me." I mutter under my breath as we continue moving while smoke starts filling the hallways. Indeed, old furniture, machine and cloths that were laying around had caught fire from an explosion that blew up the top right side of the building, causing it to collapse on itself.

A loud cracking sound causes me to snap my neck upwards to see a small crack growing bigger as it spreads on the ceiling above us. My eyes widen and at the same time, I get pulled back. Lorenzo backs us both until we are behind the wall around the corner, all the while shielding my body from the shower of concrete.

I immediately start coughing as I inhale the dust in the air and my eyes start to water as multiple small particles enter, leaving a burning sensation.

"Are you okay?" Lorenzo asks.

Blinking several times, I clear my vision as I speak. "Yeah. You?"

He gives a stiff nod as he proceeds to check our surroundings. "We need to get out of here before this part also collapses."

"What about the other staircase?" I suggest.

"Guys, whatever you are doing, be quicker. The fire is getting even worse." Giovanni informs us.