CHAPTER 51

AUDELIA'S POV

"Are you nervous about this plan?" Valeria asks as we near the bench of the training room at our main base.

I let out a sigh, slumping on the bench while nearly ripping off the bandages around my hands. "I wish I could say I was not." I mumble half-heartedly, not content with admitting it out loud.

When my father first told us about this plan, I had not really thought about the possible outcomes of this plan. All I knew was that we needed to get rid of the Russians once and for all, and, that coupled with the fight with Lorenzo, I had not realised what I could lose. Who I could lose- there were so many people's lives on the line with this mission and I knew if I lost even one of them, I would not be the same again.

"I know the feeling." She says as she follows my line of sight and rests of Lorenzo and Giovanni sparring in the ring with Lucas standing near them, watching them intently and pointing out their mistakes, although rare.

"I never knew I would be nervous about a mission." I admit as Giovanni tackles Lorenzo on the mat, sending punches after punch at Lorenzo, forcing him to keep his hands over his face to shield. "I was never scared about possibly losing my life but here we are."

"Here we are." She repeats as Lorenzo flips them over and the positions get reversed. "Fearing to losing people who we care about more than our own lives." Her fingers entwine with mine and I know she is not talking only about Giovanni.

I squeeze her fingers reassuringly although I hardly believe myself. "We are going to get through this. As one."

"As one." She offers a small smile that does not reach her eyes and I am certain that the one I reciprocated is not far different from her own.

"I don't know if I should be happy that we are all going on this mission or not."

"Well, like everything, it has its pros and cons." She shrugs.

After another tiring meeting, we finally amended the plan to go to Russia and this time, team of fifteen people turned into one of twenty and two leaders- Me and Lorenzo- and we are supposed to leave in two days, hence the training.

"Who knew we would ever be this close to them." She scoffs, shaking her head at the trio now heading towards us, equally sweaty and exhausted as us.

"I can't say that I mind it." A small smile plays on my lips, a more genuine one as Valeria and I lock eyes.

"Hello, Ladies." Giovanni says casually, plopping beside Valeria on the bench and swinging an arm over her shoulder.

"Gosh, you stink." Valeria struggles to get out from his grip and we all share a laugh at her disgusted face, although the amusement shines clear in her eyes.

Lucas and Lorenzo settle on the floor in front of us since the bench has reached its maximum capacity, the former sitting in front of Valeria and facing us while the latter settles sideways in front of me.

"Water?" I extend the bottle towards him and he takes it, shooting me a smile before emptying it.

Placing the now empty bottle besides him, he leans against my legs, resting his head on my knees with one hand resting lazily across my thighs while the other draws idle circles over my ankle in an affectionate way. A small smile plays on my lips and I thread my fingers through his messy, dark locks while we chat about mundane things, soaking in the current calm and peace reigning over us.

***

"Someone has lost his touch." I tease as we circle each other on the mat of the ring. My hands stay in front of me, ready to block or hit despite the aching need to shove the stray strands of hair from my face.