CHAPTER 26

AUDELIA'S POV

"The fact that your father," He stops leaning against the wall, his arms at his sides, "knew the club's name. And, like you said, we never once mentioned the name and at that time we had not even told them that we were at a club."

I open my mouth, only to shut it, out of any explanation. Prior to tonight, I never once set foot at The Phantom Club. Hence it was not frequented by any of us for dad to know. And, what Lorenzo is saying is right. We never said anything about being at any club. So, how does he know anything about it?

By the time the thoughts pass through my mind, Lorenzo is standing in front of me, looking down at me with a piercing gaze, totally different from how he was looking at me in the room of the club or after the entire attack.

It was glacial, intimidating, emotionless, two pits of nothing and darkness.

"What happened, Smeraldo?" He asks, his voice mirroring his stare. "What do you guys usually say?- Cat got your tongue? Right?"

"Maybe Valeria told him before."

"Our phones were hacked." He reminds me.

"When they got at the base-"

"They tracked us and came for us. Nothing else." He steps closer to me, stepping into my space. I fist my hands at my sides as I stay rooted to my place, not wanting to back away. "Anything else you have to explain your father's behaviour?"

"Do you?" I fire back. "Of course you will try to put all of this on us just to save yourself."

"Trust me, if we wanted to kill you, we would have already done it. We would not have to resort to these plans."

I scoff. "And you expect me to believe you?"

"No." He says, taking one more step. "We have been working together for only three months."

"Glad to know that you are aware of it." I take a step towards him, lifting my chin in defiance and meeting his stare. "Because, I don't trust you. Anyone of you actually."

"What make you think we trust you?"

"Nothing." I shrug. "That is why you are plotting with the Russians to kill us. It all makes sense now. You caught Igor. You already told him what to say when he is interrogated. Maybe that is why you also insisted that someone from our mafia interrogates him. Then the entire warehouse attack. And wait," I say as something else pops in my mind. "Did you guys insist on coming with us at the club just to know our location?"

"You are being delusional."

"Really?" I huff. "Just because it makes sense, I am delusional?"

"If we were working with the Russians then why would I help you when the warehouse was crumbling to pieces? Why would I take you in the forests to hide from them?" I find myself swallowing the lump formed in my throat. "Why would I stop my father from shooting you?"

Another step closer and our bodies touch. Sparks flies. The temperature rises. Heartbeats escalate. Breathing becomes difficult.

"Why would I stop you from getting your phone and easily getting shot?" Another step and I find myself stumbling backwards but his hand comes around my waist, pulling me to him and preventing me to get away. He backs us up until I am pressed flush against the wall as well as his body.

"Why would I give a fuck about your injuries?" He says through gritted teeth. I suck in a sharp breath as his free hand wraps around my throat while the one around my waist digs into my skin.