Can We Keep Him?

Chapter 4

I walked over to mom as she sat impatiently waiting for me to get in. She seemed like she was in some form of a hurry today.

"Honey hurry up and get in the car." She said, quite clearly annoyed.

"Okay but can my friends get a ride home since their house is on the way?" I asked hopefully. Mom sighed impatiently but gave in.

"Fine just hurry."

"Thanks mom!" I said enthusiatically before running back over to them. "Guys let's go, my mom's giving you two a ride." The two looked doubtfully at each other but then Demetrius casually brushed off whatever worry they had and took the first step towards the car. Cassidy sighed then followed behind him. I wondered what that was about. They seemed almost reluctant to enter the car somehow. Then again it might have simply been my imagination. In my mind everyone got a bad vibe from my mom.

During the drive I noticed that Cassidy was staring intently at Demetrius; she didn't stop until she shouted, "Dem your face is bruised!"

"It's no problem." He said before whispering, "I'll heal it tonight." What did he mean by that?

"Hmph, if it had been me--"

"no would would be bold enough Cass." Demetrius said, cutting her off.

Mom cleared her throat, an indication that she wanted to enter the conversation. "So young man, remind me of your name again."

"I'm Demetrius and this is my twin sister Cassidy." I looked to him in shock. Was he serious or was this another one of his lies that were starting to get on my nerves? I glanced over to Cassidy for a translation and saw a smile come unto her face.

"He's not lying." She whispered. Wow . . .I knew they looked extremely simliar. I guess that would explain why they were both in the same class. Ugh, I should have known.

" I see, and I understand that you were helping Jamie to find Valerie, that was nice of you." I felt my heart skip a beat. She knew about halloween night . . .but how . . .? And why was she so calm about it . . .? This was definitely not good.

"What can I say, her crying softened my heart." I rolled my eyes. Well wasn't someone just abit full of themselves? I looked over at him and saw him giving me that deceitfully innocent smile of his. I looked away before he could see what kind of effect that that smile had on me which only made him chuckle. That's when I caught mom looking at us from the rear view mirror.

"Can you let us out right here?" Cassidy asked suddenly. Mom stepped on the brakes immediately out of pure reflexes. She turned to look at where she had stopped and I watched as her face grew pale then shock slowly set in.

"This is where you live?!" Mom exclaimed.

"No but we live close to here so we can walk from here." Demetrius said as he and Cassidy got out of the car. Yeah right . . .though it was technically true. He leaned in and continued his little lie. "Besides our house isn't on your route and we wouldn't want you to go out of your way just for us." Was this guy for real? I shook my head at him but that only made him smile right after standing straight again. The two waved their farewell but neither moved until we were a good ways off down the road. Talk about paranoid. Did they expect that my mom would track them down or something? How ridiculous. . .

 That night I sat out on my balcony, questioning myself the whole time whether being out there was entirely safe. Afterall I was sitting out here on that fateful night when Demetrius first visited me and I wasn't so sure that I wanted a repeat of that. I mean I did think he was hot and I confess that I was hoping we could be more but something told me that he was dangerous. He was probably the type of guy that mom wanted me to stay away from. Mom seemed to have her doubts about Demtrius. Right after we dropped them off she started interrogating me on things like: Where I had met them? How long I'd known them? She even asked what species he and Cassidy were but she quickly told me to forget that last one. I found it strange that she would ask something like that.