Heart's Captive

Chapter 28

I walked the length of the entire palace twice trying to find a Phoenix while at the same time trying to keep my mind open for a solution that would help Scar. By now I was aware that Jamie was in the palace hospital but I willed myself not to look for her. She wouldn’t have wanted me to anyway because she didn’t love me. I couldn’t help but feel like an idiot. How could I have thought that she actually loved me? Was I that blind . . . ? It didn’t matter anymore, because I was never going to play the fool again. I wasn’t going to set myself up. I wouldn’t care.

“Remember guests, if you haven’t gone shopping for the upcoming holiday you can always stop by the Palace Mall to get your special someones exactly what they want this holiday season.” The voice over the intercom said. I sighed. What was the point in having a special someone, especially when they didn’t care a damn about you?

 Each hall that I walked through had more servants setting up decorations for the ‘grand’ Christmas that they all anticipated. I just shook my head. This all seemed so wasteful. There was nothing merry about this holiday, hearts were breaking and people were dying . . .

“Have you found Phoenix as yet?” Mother asked when I walked back into her room. She was now becoming suspicious as to why we were all sneaking around but I couldn’t bear to tell her that they wanted to kill Scar. This time ignorance was going to have to be her bliss.

“No . . . but I think I know what she’s looking for, I’ll keep looking—“  she was most likely looking for Scar.

“Have you visited Jamie since they admitted her to the hospital?” She asked cutting my sentence short.

“What?” I asked, pretending that I hadn’t heard her question. She also didn’t know that Jamie and I hadn’t been on speaking terms since yesterday. To her the world was still spinning in perfect order though I could tell that she suspected something. I didn’t want to look at her again, it would have hurt too much . . .

“You heard me.” She replied sternly. “Now go to her and that was neither a request nor was it a plea.”

I lowered my eyes, knowing that I couldn’t tell her ‘no’. “Yes mother.” I sighed. Although I think that finding Phoenix is far more important. She glared at me. I raised my hands in resignation then left; there was no use in arguing about it because she was going to win.

I reluctantly dragged myself to the hospital and sighed in exasperation when I saw how many of them crowded around her bed. Why was I doing this . . . ?

---Jamie’s POV---

The dark room slowly got lighter. I had come to realize that it was because of a door of light that kept moving closer to the light and I.

“Where does that lead?” I asked it, out of pure curiosity. Somehow it seemed to be calling to me with the sweetest voice ever.

“That is the door that leads to eternity; death. Once you walked through you will be in perfect peace for the rest of your life and no one will be able to harm you again.” It said. At that moment I felt a smile creep unto my face. How promising. I took a step towards the door. “That’s it, just a bit more.” The light urged. I turned to look at it, wondering why it was so eager. “Hurry!” It said frantically. My brows crinkled. All this pressure had me thinking. Was this really the right choice . . .?

I was about to speak when I caught his scent. That scent that always had my heart fluttering. I got excited that she had actually come. I thought he wouldn’t have but he did! Maybe he still cared! I knew he would have been able to hear the lie and now he was back for me!

“Stop that!” The light ordered. At that point I realized that I had forced my heart to increase in speed. It hated when I did that because it was resolved to taking me out of the world completely. It had no reason to worry though, I mean I still planned to walk through but I just really wanted to be near him again, if only for a second.